chapter two

"bonjour madame" maddie planted a kiss on her mother's cheek as she picked up a peach. "you're up early" her mother spoke, looking at the clock.

"early bird gets the worm" maddie giggled. "i'm going to go to the lake, okay?" maddie told her mother as she ate the peach. her mother nodded her head.

"salut" she waved to her mother as she opened and closed the gate with her things in hand. maddie got on her bike and rode down to the lake.

yes, she had gotten up to go to the lake but only to see him. as she got to the lake, she stopped abruptly. she saw timothée swimming around.

she admired him until she got off the bike and walked towards the water. "nice to see you again" timothée said running a hand through his curls.

maddie undressed till she was in her bathing suit and she put her foot into the water, "it's freezing!". timothée chuckled, "it's better over here".

maddie nodded and went into the water fully as timothée got closed to where she was. finally when the water hit their chests, they met.

"hi" maddie breathed out. "hi madeline" timothée smirked. "stop calling me that, it's so.. formal" maddie jokingly hit his chest.

"it's your name" timothée smiled. maddie sighed and floated on her back, "yes, yes it is".

they stayed silent as they both floated in the water. listening to the bird chirp, the faint music from houses.
just like maddie had said,
peaceful.

˚ ˚ ࿐ྂ* ˚ ˚

"are you here for the summer or are you living here?" maddie asked after they both stepped out of the cold water. "summer, i live in the united states" timothée replied looking out to the lake.

"and you?" he asked. "me too" maddie said. maddie's grandparents owned the house they were staying at, every summer maddie and her mother travelled to france and stayed in her grandparents house.

"where are you from?" timothée asked. "new york" maddie said leaning her head back, looking up at the sky. "really?... me too" timothée smiled. "woah, seriously" maddie sat up and looked at timothée.

this was the first time she could really take in all his features. the sun beamed on his face, revealing freckles along his face she hadn't seen in the dark last night and how there were bits of blue in his eyes. "then, i'll see you back in new york" maddie gave him a smile.

the two rode back to their homes on the bikes they had rode to get to the lake. the sound of birds and crickets filled the air and occasional bikers riding past them.

"au revoir, timothée" maddie said getting off her bike to open the gate to her home. "salut, madeline" timothée smirked and rode off quickly. maddie roller her eyes before opening the gate.

˚ ˚ ࿐ྂ* ˚ ˚

for the next month, timothée and maddie spent every day together. by the lake, at the market, anywhere as long as they were together.

"this is nice" timothée said one day as they sat by the rocks at a beach. "what is?" maddie looked over at him. "this, us" timothée said. maddie hummed in agreement.

it would be a lie to say maddie didn't like timothée. he was incredibly attractive and a genuine friend to maddie.

a summer to remember.