chapter seven

maddie waited outside home room for timothée to come out. but when he came out, he came out with his group of friends. he looked over at maddie, gave a small smile and kept walking with his friends.

maddie felt her heart drop, the boy who she had fallen for, who told her he loved her, had just ignored her.

"maddie!" sarah said rushing up to her. "we have the next period together, let go" sarah said with a smile, linking arms with maddie. maddie gave her a fake smile and started walking.

all through out the day the only thing maddie could think of was timothée. how he had been so nice over the summer and now he was acting like she was a stranger.

then came time for lunch. "maddie! over here" her friends called her over. "how was first day" sarah asked the group. everyone said "good" while maddie looked around the lunch room to see if timothée was there.

"what about you maddie?" sarah asked. "oh-uh.. good, it was good" maddie respond. maddie gave up looking for timothée and began eating her lunch and listening to the conversation her friends were having.

someone had sat next to her but maddie didn't pay much attention, thinking it was someone in the group next to them. suddenly, all her friends went quiet. maddie looked up at her friends to see they were all looking at her. "what? do i have something on my face?" maddie asked, touching her face.

her friends shook their heads. maddie turned her head to see timothée sitting right next to her. maddie slightly rolled her eyes. "hi" timothée said. before maddie could respond, her friends responded for her. "her name is maddie!" "she's single" "she's french" "she's kind of shy" they said.

maddie looked up and gave them a cold look. "single" timothée repeated. maddie let out a deep sigh, looking away from timothée. "maddie" timothée whispered, trying to get her to look what him. "what?" maddie said coldly. "come on, let's talk" timothée said putting his finger on her chin making her look at him.

maddie couldn't resist his green eyes. maddie sighed and got up. "au revoir" sarah teased. maddie let out a chuckle but quickly wiped the smile off her face as she followed timothée outside.

"what do you want?" maddie asked as they got outside. timothée leaned against the wall, "this is crazy".

maddie leaned next to him, "crazy how you can ignore me". timothée leaned his head down and sighed. "it's not like that, maddie" timothée stated.

"why are you calling me maddie?" maddie asked. "it's your name" timothée looked at her from the side of his eye, still facing forward. maddie scoffed and looked away, remembering their first time alone at the lake.

"hi madeline" timothée smirked. "stop calling me that, it's so.. formal" maddie jokingly hit his chest. "it's your name" timothée smiled. maddie sighed and floated on her back, "yes, yes it is".

all she wanted was for things to go back to how they were in the summer. she wanted him to call her madeline. she wanted- her thoughts were interrupted by timothée. "you have different friends" timothée said. "hm?" maddie hummed.

".. back in france, you were friends with people like louis and camille. now you're with a completely different crowd" timothée moved his head so he could look at her.

"like you're any different. i didn't know you liked to party hard and drink till you get a fucking hangover for a month" maddie said, referring the the boys he was hanging out with earlier.

"you don't know them" timothée rolled his eyes. "and you don't know my friends" maddie shot back.

they both stayed silent. rather than birds chirping and faint crickets, all that was heard was yelling from the cafeteria and the busy streets of manhattan.

"great talk" maddie whispered to herself as she walked away before the bell rang.