Chapter 17

I waited for her to come out of her room and talk to me but she didn't. I spent half of the time playing with Rusty who I came to know was Rebekah's gift to her grandmother last Christmas.

Her grandmother was actually too sweet. She gave me some cinnamon cookies and talked with me for hours at a stretch.

When I told her that I have feelings for Becca she assured me that it was mutual. It was dinner time when we heard footsteps descending from the staircase.

She literally looked like a mess. Her eyes were puffed, her mascara all over her face and her hair were untidily put in a bun.

She gave us questioning looks when she noticed that both of us had a hint of a smile on our face. On seeing Rebekah her grandmother got up from the chair and went towards her.

"Honey, look at you. You look like a zombie who just got up from a grave. Go and tidy yourself." To this I couldn't control my laughter and a chuckle escaped my mouth.

She gave me a daring look before pouting at her grandmother. "I am hungry", she said.

Her voice came out as a whisper though. I then got up from my seat while pushing my hands in my pocket before saying, "We can go out for dinner. Even I am famishing."

I lied to her even when my stomach was half full from the cookies. She looked around maybe in an attempt to search for some excuse to turn me down.

But before she could say something her grandmother added, "That's a good idea. Anyways I am too tired today and I don't think I will be able to make dinner." Her grandma looked at me and winked.

I just smiled at her. To this Rebekah finally said, "I don't feel like going out. I will make some spaghetti at home."

I knew I had to speak before she runs back to her room. So I went closer to her while resting my hands on her shoulder, "Please Becs. Stop avoiding me. We can't do this forever. One day or the other you will need to clear things out. So let it be today."

She was almost convinced when that prick who claims to be her bestfriend came inside the room with pizza boxes in his hand. On seeing me he came near her and after resting the boxes on the table he slipped his hand around her waist.

My fingers scrunched into angry cannon balls. He looked at how helpless I felt and passed me a wicked smile.

Rebekah hugged him and said him a thankyou for the dinner. She gave me one last look before taking the boxes into her bedroom.

This left me standing in the dining room along with her grandmother. I bit my lip feeling completely annoyed at that point.

Her grandmother patted me on the back after passing me a sympathetic look and said, "Come, we'll make something for dinner." I just hugged her maybe because I needed it or maybe because she made me remember my mother.

"You go ahead. I need some fresh air. I will be back in some time", I said before picking up my coat and leaving the house.

Rebekah's POV:

John and I sat on the bed devouring the pizza when I heard the main door getting shut. I knew for a fact that grandma doesn't go out except for taking Rusty for a walk.

And as she just quoted that she is tired I was sure it is Rex who left. Did he really just go?

Is he going back to Seattle? I found a pain shooting up in my chest at the mere thought of Rex leaving me here.

I wanted to go down and check but there was something that was stopping me. It's your freaking ego, my subconscious exclaimed.

I pretended to be wonderfully normal in front of John although my mind was wondering somewhere else. It was around 9:00 when John left my house.