Chapter 29

Rebekah's POV:

It was the day of the surgery. Each and every one of us were here outside the OT waiting for the surgery to be done for good.

My hands were shaking and I couldn't think straight. John was sitting next to me holding me tightly while I laid my head on his shoulder.

My cheeks were tinted red due to the tears I was shedding from the past half an hour. My nose was running and every now and then I took the tissue close to my nose to sniff in it.

Just then, the silence was disturbed by shoe soles clicking on the floor. I diverted my eyes to the hallway and my heart skipped a beat on seeing those familiar blue eyes.

I ran towards him and he dropped his bag on the floor to envelope me in a hug. "I missed you", I said while inhaling in his familiar scent.

"I missed you too sweetheart. And it is so good to see you again", he said while pushing a block of my hair behind my ear. He picked his bag from the floor and while holding my hand, he took me towards the benches occupied by the others.

Rex shook his hand with my father and Rafael and he hugged John while patting him on the back. He sat next to me and while resting his hand on my shoulder he whispered in my ears, "This too shall pass. Have faith in Jesus."

I nodded at him and looked towards the OT where my grandmother was struggling between life and death. As soon as we saw a nurse coming out from the OT with a file in her hand we all rushed towards her and my dad asked her with panic in his voice, "How is my mother? Is she out of danger now?"

She just looked at him with sympathy in her eyes and said, "The operation is still in process and nothing can be said before that." I slumped back into my chair defeatedly and I placed my head in between my palms while the tears came rolling down my cheeks.

Those were the longest six hours of my life that I had ever experienced and it seemed that time was stuck. My heart was thumping loudly with each passing second and I could feel the bile forming in my throat every now and then.

As soon as the doctor came out of the OT and the red light that indicated that the operation was in process went off my entire body went stiff. I folded my hands on my lap and looked at the doctor as my father held his hand and asked him about my grandmother.

The doctor took off his operation cap and with disappointment clear in his voice he said, "I am sorry. I couldn't save her. Because of the anesthesia, she was finding difficulty in breathing and minutes ago she suffered from another stroke and died on the spot." The words repeated in my mind again and again.

This couldn't be happening. Not again.

I could feel Rex holding me tightly but it was like time froze. There was this arising pain in my heart that I couldn't bear anymore.

Rex shook my arm and I could hear him begging me to look at him. But my mind wasn't functioning and I felt numb.

I could see Rafael hugging his grandson while he wailed on the loss of his love. My dad went inside the OT to see my dead grandmother.

Suddenly I felt a tear left my eye and it was as if all the emotions came crashing back. "I lost her. I lost my grandmother Rex", I wailed loudly while sitting on the floor.

I frantically caught hold of my hair while Rex sat next to me crying while holding me in his arms. I jerked him away and ran into the OT.

As soon as I saw her lying lifeless on the hospital bed, her face pale white and the silence in the room, my heart broke into smithereens. I took slow steps near her as if I might disturb her and on seeing me, my dad took me in his arms but my eyes didn't left her face.