Chapter 28

Rebekah’s POV:

My eyes opened and it took me a few seconds to come back to reality. I looked around myself and it was then that I remembered that I slept in the waiting area of the hospital last night.

I squinted my eyes adjusting  to the sun rays that were beaming in through the window. I got up and stretched my arms in front of me and I realised that I might need some coffee to go through the day without falling asleep on the couch again.

I cannot really blame myself as it has been almost three days that I have passed without taking a proper nap. I occasionally took those small power naps when there were vsitors in her room to avoid collapsing on the ground.

My entire body was paining and my neck was crooked. The couch was too small for me to sleep comfortably.

My hands were dangling on the ground and my legs were protruding out of it. Things have been very difficult since that night in Santorini when I lost Talia whom I assumed to be my best friend.

I had lost all my appetite after the truth was revealed to me and to be honest if Rex wasn’t there by my side, I feel  I wouldn’t be able to even handle it. I slept early that night without having dinner and Rex stayed with me even when I practically begged him to join the party.

I was sad and somewhere guilty that because of me, my two bestfriend’s most important day was somehow ruined. I wish I could undo it all.

I wish I hadn’t come to Santorini if it meant that I would never come to know about Talia’s betrayal and even if it meant staying in the dark forever. We left for Seattle the next day in the morning while Alan and Stella were catching a flight in the evening as they had to wrap up all the responsibilities that came crashing on their head along with their engagement.

The next few days on campus were particularly depressing. The assignments were to be submitted, exams were nearing and seeing everyone study in the library after school made me nervous as I was not at all prepared for my exams and I wasn’t someone who would prefer failing in junior year.

My usual interactions with Talia before all this drama happened were now replaced by ignoring each other’s existence in campus. Also my group had clearly cut off their relations with her and this was because of me.

I could see the pity everyone felt for me and clearly it was becoming too much for me to bear as I started avoiding going to school. And the most difficult part was living with her in the same house.

Rex and I were looking at places after school as I had decided to move out. I couldn’t see her passing me that evil smirk everytime we shared a glance.

All this didn’t seem enough to god for punishing me for I don’t know which of my sins because then something happened that made me want to die. How could I forget the day when I felt my entire world coming down! 

It was Thursday night when I was sitting in my room working on my math problems. It was almost midnight but there was no sign of sleep in my eyes and I can’t blame sleep as I had three cups of coffee that night.

Suddenly my phone rang and what I heard next literally made me fall on my knees. It was John.

I still remember how shaky his voice was and how he had become a stuttering mess in front of me when he told me that my grandma got a heart attack and was now in a critical condition. I completely panicked after hearing this.

I didn’t know what to do and the tears won’t stop coming down my face. After ten minutes of feeling numb, I frantically wiped my tears and picked up my phone.