3- Immortal Monster Fighting

Percy

I watched as Artemis stalked up the side of the mountain, barely making a sound. Her bow was drawn, and she was in the form of a 16 year old girl. Her auburn hair was braided down her shoulder. I guess she didn't figure I would be comfortable around an immortalized 12 year old goddess at first. Baby steps.

I was not used to this god stuff. Getting that godly makeover on Olympus honestly made me a little self conscious. "Oh, you don't want to go around looking like that! Not godly enough!"

I was the lean kind of ripped. I had no idea what my face looked like, but judging from everything else, I probably looked like somebody I'd always wanted to look like.

Something else about being a god? I felt no pain anywhere in my body. I felt fully energized, in a way I had never felt before. I didn't feel the least bit tired. There was a certain stride in my step that wasn't there before.

I didn't exactly want to mention it up there on Olympus, but was it bad that I had the desire to be the god of blue food?

I wondered if I could summon godly blue anything. Could I have a godly blue sword?

That would definitely have to be a request for Hephaestus.

I wanted to try out my new powers, but it didn't look like I'd have the chance.

Artemis held up her hand, and Thalia and I stopped. A breeze picked up. Artemis motioned for Thalia, and Thalia fled into the trees out of sight. I wasn't familiar with all of the Hunt signs and information, so I seriously hoped I didn't do anything stupid in front of Artemis. I wondered if she could kick me out of the Hunt or not, since I was now the god of it and all.

Artemis glanced around the woods, her eyes fiery and confident. I remembered the first time I saw her, and how beautiful I'd thought she was. She was even more beautiful now, I thought.

Not that it mattered. Artemis was a maiden. 

Artemis began walking again, in a zigzagged pattern, occasionally stopping to look at things on the ground. I realized what she was doing, I guess because of my new godly powers of the hunt.

I could recognize the foot prints on the ground, just by looking at them. I could easily identify the types of trees and plants I was around. I could tell what we were looking for simply by the tracks it was leaving. A manticore. 

She stood. "It's trying to throw me off it's trail."

"There, milady," I said, pointing to a spot on a tree. 

She squinted. "You're right," she said with grudging respect. She gave me a cold shoulder, and turned around.

"It attacked your camp?" I asked. "While we were on Olympus?"

"Yes," Artemis replied. We got to the crest of the hill.

I looked out over the mountainside and saw a smoking camp with burning tents and scattered firewood. A single hunters jacket laid on the ground. Artemis walked towards it and picked it up. "They made it out." Artemis bent down over a clawed footprint. "And it got away." She motioned to a trail of footprints leading off into the woods. Then, she pointed to some splattered blood on the ground. "But not unharmed." She finished.

I knew it was true. I drank in the sights, and breathed in the forest smells deeply. Then, on instinct, I looked to the treetops. Cleverly hidden in one of the top branches, camouflaged and blending in with the leaves, a small group of teenage girls stared back at me.

"You can come down now," Artemis said after noticing them. "We'll get on it's trail immediately."

The girls threw down ropes and swung out of the tree swiftly, rolling to a stop like they'd done it a thousand times. Impressive, I had to admit. They gathered around Artemis awaiting orders.

"Milady," one of them looked quizzically at me, "who is this man?"

"My hunters, meet Perseus Jackson," she said. "God of the Hunt."

I was afraid the hunters would object to being in the presence of a man, but they stared at me, a little uneasily, then nodded. I could tell they didn't necessarily like it, but if I had Artemis' approval, they would cooperate.

"Perseus will be our guardian," Artemis continued. "He is now an Olympian. We share the domain of the Hunt. He has sworn never to flirt with or be romantic with any of you. If he does, I have permission to unleash my full wrath on him."

The hunters had grown in number since I'd seen them last. There were at least 30 of them, all between the ages of 12 and 16. Artemis brushed her hair behind her ear, and I couldn't help but notice.

"Hunters," I nodded in greeting. "I will do everything in my ability to keep you safe."

"You're the savior of Olympus," one of the girls said. She looked around 13. Of course, that wasn't the case since she was immortal. Somehow I knew her true age- 47. "You commanded the armies in New York during the titan war. What happened to the other girl that led that you turned down immortality for? Annabeth?"

My heart sank, and I pursed my lips. I set my jaw, and looked down. "She died a heroic, brave death." I had to change the subject before I broke down in front of them. Look at Annabeth, bringing a god to his knees. "But that's not for us to talk about. Looks like we have a manticore to chase."

Artemis nodded. "Tonight when we set up camp, we'll introduce ourselves to Lord Perseus. For now, we must move. Pack up camp."

In a few minutes, the hunters had all the tents and tables dismantled. The fires were put out, and the ashes were scattered. It was co clean it almost looked like they'd never been there.

"Shall we move, Lady Artemis?" Thalia asked respectfully.

Artemis nodded, and led the way. After a few moments she said, "walk with me, Perseus."