8- Percy Jackson is no Good at Archery

No chance, no way, I won't say it

Artemis

Percy walked beside me, and I swore the air between us was buzzing with electricity. Pull yourself together, I thought.

Another memory popped into my head.

"You know what the monster is?" The 13 year old, raven haired boy sitting in front of me said.

I gripped my bow. "Let us pray that I'm wrong."

"Can goddesses pray?" Percy asked, his face suddenly thoughtful. I managed to smile.

I hadn't been paying attention to what Thalia and Percy were talking about, but Thalia suddenly yelled "hey!" and shoved Percy. On the steep terrain, he lost his footing and practically fell on top of me.

"I'm sorry milady," Thalia stammered as we sprawled on the ground.

Percy, laughing, sat up, and tossed a rock in her direction. He turned towards me, and we were suddenly face to face, our noses inches apart. I prayed he couldn't tell I was blushing. Time seemed to slow down as his eyes met mine. He sat there for a moment, and everything in me went to war with itself.

Stop it, Artemis! I scolded myself. Percy quickly scrambled to his feet, as if realizing who I was. Maybe it'd be good if I realized who I was too. He brushed himself off, and offered me his hand. "My mistake, milady."

I took his hand, and jolts of electricity ran up my arm at his touch. "Uh, thank you, Lord Perseus," I said, trying not to ramble. Did he really just take the words from my very breath?

So that's what they call speechless.

Thalia looked at us quizzically, her eyebrows raised.

"On to Camp Half-Blood," I said quickly. "We're almost there."

***

We crossed the property line and the hunters all groaned simultaneously.

"It's just for a night or two," I assured them.

"Last one to Cabin Eight has to clean the Pegasus stables!" Percy yelled. All of them took off running towards the commons area.

I rolled my eyes at him. Along the way, he'd acquired at least 6 bags that he was carrying for them. "You look like a bellhopper."

"Ew," he decided. "I could not pull off one of those uniforms."

"Let me help you with that," I said, taking a few of the bags from him. Our eyes met, but I quickly looked down.

"So," Percy said uneasily. "Archery range? Maybe you can give me some pointers."

"Well I'd hope you'd be good with a bow," I said. "Now that you're god of the hunt and all..."

"I doubt any godly influence could help my shot," he said. "Just wait. You'll see."

Percy and I walked to Cabin 8 to dump the bags off at the doorway before walking towards the archery range. It was dinner time, so everybody was at the pavilion eating, leaving the archery range empty.

"Alright, Percy." I turned to him, and frowned. "Where's your bow?"

Percy shrugged. "I don't have one."

I raised an eyebrow. "You came to archery practice without a bow?"

He opened his mouth, but then I shook my head, rolled my eyes and waved my hand. A bow materialized in his hands. "Impressive."

"I am the goddess of archery," I said. "I have a few of those in my back pocket."

"Is it enchanted?" Percy asked. "I'm going to need a magic one. Can you make me one that doesn't miss?"

I rolled my eyes. "Can it, kelp head. Let's see what you can do."

Percy notched an arrow, positioned himself, and pulled back the string. His muscles flexed as he did, and I found my eyes drifting to his shoulders and biceps. "Alright," he said as he anchored the string to his mouth. He took a breath, and released his fingers. The arrow flew through the air, embedding itself in the target. He was nowhere near the bullseye, but at least he hit the thing. I stifled a laugh. "Hey!"

"Sorry," I said, covering my mouth. "That's not terrible."

"I prefer a sword," he protested. "I am the god of swordsmanship." He mimicked me. "Why don't I take you to the arena?"

"Oh, Hades no," I laughed. "You would decapitate me."

"Never," Percy argued. "But if anybody tries to hurt you, I'll disembowel them."

"A thoughtful sentiment," I said.

"Time to teach you a few things," he said. Before I could argue, he grabbed my wrist and began dragging me up Half-Blood Hill towards the arena.

When we arrived, we found it was empty, too. Dinner had just ended, but all the campers had gone to the Campfire sing along.

"Alright," Percy said. He looked me over, as if sizing me up. "I'm thinking, a xiphos?"

"I hate swords," I said. Nevertheless, he waved his hand, and a sword belt, scabbard, and celestial bronze xiphos appeared around my waist. "So barbaric."

Percy gave me a false-hurt look. He placed his hand on his chest. "Did you just insult my domain?"

"You insulted mine with your terrible shooting," I teased. "You shoot like a boy."

"There are a few Apollo campers who would strangle you for that one," he replied.

"Exactly my point," I said. He uncapped Riptide. In response, I unsheathed my sword.

He took a step forward. I didn't move. Another step. I tried not to flinch, but going up against the god of swordsmanship and heroes was a little bit daunting. Especially when he was Percy Jackson, and had a way of wrapping around my head and getting under my skin. Percy suddenly stepped and thrusted. By some miracle, I intercepted it, and whirled around. Percy was quick, and had a lot of tricky moves. I did my best to sidestep, dodge, and parry, but I was mostly on a defensive game. When I attempted to switch to offense, he locked his blade in mine, turned his wrist sharply, and my blade flew out of my hand. Before I could blink, the tip of his sword was at my throat, and my own sword was in his other arm, hanging by his side.

Percy tilted his head, smirked at me, and then let his blade dip to the floor. He offered me my sword back.

"Impressive," I admitted. We stood in silence for a moment. The tension in the air around me seemed to bend around him, as if he had a gravitational pull. I had the strong urgency to hug him, and never let go.

"Oh," Percy said. "To impress a goddess."

"Especially if you're a guy," I said.

"Hey!" He argued.

"I won't hold it against you," I promised him.

He fixed his eyes on mine, and everything in me spontaneously turned into flames and dust at the same time. The moon shone overhead.

"Er..." a voice called from the arena entrance. "Am I interrupting something?"

A camper in an orange Camp Half-Blood shirt stood in the archway of the arena.

I tensed, and immediately stepped away from Percy. "Not at all. We were sparring."

"I uh... just need to get my sword. Forgive me, Lord Perseus. Lady Artemis." The kid grabbed a sword that had been leaning against the wall and quickly walked away.

I turned to look at Percy.

"We should go," he said, suddenly distant. He straightened, and headed for the door. I wasn't sure if I should be thankful or disappointed.