11- Aphrodite is Evil

I thought my heart had learned it's lesson
It feels so good when you start out

Percy

By the time Artemis caught up with me, everybody was surrounding me, holding up the flag chanting "Percy! Percy! Percy!"

Her nostrils flared. The hunters filed in behind her, unhappily toting the body of an unconscious Connor Stoll. They grumbled in annoyance. Apparently, they didn't like that they hadn't had the chance to skewer any of the Aphrodite kids. The hunters must have never made it to Bunker Nine. The Ares and Athena kids must have held their ground.

"You cheated," she decided.

"All's fair and love in Capture the Flag, milady," I said. "But for all it's worth, you had me back there."

"Silence, campers," Chiron said. The cheering died down. After a few announcements, he dismissed the campers back to their cabins, and followed them out himself.

Artemis turned to the hunters. "We'll leave in the morning. Go ahead and head back to the cabins."

They left Artemis and I alone.

"You're bleeding," I said, motioning towards her shoulder.

She smirked. "So are you."

I could still feel ichor coming from my face and my shoulder. It didn't help that my ear also stung from Artemis arrows. She definitely had given me a beat down.

I walked ankle deep into the creek, and felt my wounds beginning to close up. A surge of power ran through my limbs. "That'll do it," I decided.

She looked at me, as if sizing me up, then glanced at her shoulder wound, apparently realizing it was worse than she thought.

"I'm sorry about that," I apologized.

She smiled. "No need. You fought well, brave one. Besides, I got your face pretty good."

"You were tracking me," I said. "You weren't paying attention to any of my other teammates. You were watching for me."

Artemis' eyes gleamed. "When hunting a pack of wolves, are you more worried about the Alpha, or his followers?"

"Malcolm led this game," I said. "I had nothing to do with any of it."

"It's often the omega that makes the calls, does all the things behind the scenes," Artemis said. "But the alpha is the trophy."

I frowned. "You're treating me like one of your wild animals?"

She laughed, then looked down at her wounded shoulder, as if it was bothering her a lot more than she was letting on.

"Come here," I said, taking a few more steps backwards into the creek, until I was about knee deep. I willed the flow of the creek to calm and soften. The currents subsided, and the water lapped gently against the shores. The sound of crickets filled the air. Leaves rustled peacefully. The moonlight cascaded through the tree branches.

Artemis looked at me apprehensively, and then took a few steps forward grudgingly, until she was ankle deep in the water.

"Here," I stepped forward, and touched her wrist. She instinctively pulled away. "It's not like that," I assured her. "Let me show you something."

She softened, and I took her wrist again. This time, she didn't jerk away. She stared at me warily, but didn't protest.

"Look," I said. I held out her hand, and closed it around mine, willing the creek to cooperate with me. A trickle of water traveled up my arm and onto hers. It soaked the sword wound she had, and it began to close in response.
**DONT HATE ME I KNOW THATS A MOVIE REFERENCE BUT UH ITS KIND OF CUTE RIGHT?**

Artemis gasped, and then touched the wound that had faded to a light grey scar, and then faded to nothing.

"Thank you," she managed. She looked down, and then dropped my hand quickly. Her face hardened. "Thank you, Percy. You're off duty until tomorrow morning."

She walked off, leaving me standing in the creek.

What just happened? I thought.

Artemis

I trekked silently towards Cabin Eight, my fists clenched.

How am I so stupid? I let my guard down, and Percy Jackson is stealing into my heart.

I couldn't trust myself around him, and I couldn't ask him to leave. I approached the door to Cabin Eight, but my hand lingered on the door knob.

I need some fresh air, I thought. I need somewhere to think.

I didn't open the door; instead, I turned and walked towards the canoe lake.

The thing is, I know Percy would never disrespect me in any way. It made him more admirable.

The sound of the waves lapping the shore and the chirping of crickets calmed me. I sat down on the dock, and hung my feet over the edge.

A few feet away, the water splashed in annoyance.

"Naiads," I muttered. "Such flirts."

They disliked me because I was a maiden goddess. I tossed a stone into the water.

I made a silent pact to myself: no matter how I felt, I would push it aside. I can think clearly. Emotions do not cloud my vision. I would not allow myself to fall and give in to him. He was my acquaintance, my hunting companion.

"Hmm..." said a feminine voice behind me.

I was immediately filled with anger. Simply her aura made me want to vomit. I turned to face the beautiful goddess Aphrodite. She was leaning against the railing of the dock in an off the shoulder pink top and skin tight black jeans. Her hair was curled and fell perfectly over her shoulders, as usual. "What are you doing here?"

"Well I'm anchored to my domain," she shrugged. "I saw your little scene at the creek."

My cheeks felt hot. Anger swelled within me. Was she suggesting what I think she was suggesting? "I don't bother with your foolishness," I recoiled. "I don't need a man."

"Oh yes, you don't need a man, but you think it's nice to be around Percy sometimes, don't you?" She asked absentmindedly as she checked her reflection in the lake water.

"I'm a sworn maiden," I retorted. "Percy is a nice man, but I have sworn off the company of men in that way."

"Mmm..." Aphrodite looked at her nails, with great interest. "Her hunting companion manages to steal her heart. How romantic."

This time, I stood. "You're mistaken."

"Am I?" She took her eyes off of herself long enough to look at me. "You seem distraught. You're conflicted, and you come to his element..." she motioned to the lake.

If I wasn't red before, I definitely was now. "Percy is simply my fellow hunter and friend."

"Well if that's the case," she shrugged. "I will gladly move on Percy myself."

Jealousy boiled inside me. "Your brain is fried."

She applied some perfume to her neck and wrist. "I'm just saying," she mused. "I promised Percy an exciting, very complicated love life. Let's see how strong willed you are."

"What-" before I could protest, Aphrodite turned into her true godly form and flashed away.

I gritted my teeth.

Oh, I am very strong willed.