29- The Bridal Shower

Artemis

Percy was away for a few days, leaving just me and my hunters together like old times. Despite feeling good about being along with my hunters, I missed his company.

"Milady," Thalia said. "This wedding changes nothing. Maybe you guys won't even... I mean, Percy is respectful."

I shook my head. "It's Ancient Greek tradition, Thalia. On your wedding night."

She frowned. "Percy's not a big fan of tradition."

I managed to laugh. No, Percy Jackson was definitely not a fan of tradition. "Don't worry about me, Thalia. I'll be okay. It's fate."

The next two days went by in a blur. It wasn't long before I was in my palace on Mount Olympus with all my hunters other goddesses having a bridal shower, something I definitely did not expect I'd ever be getting.

Silver and sea green streamers were everywhere, and ribbons decorated my living room ceiling. Speakers played whatever music you imagined at just the right volume. It was a Greek style party, with white Greek dresses and robes. Banquet tables full of food on golden plates sat in the middle of the room. Decorative tapestries hung from the ceilings. My hunters stood and sat around the living room talking and eating. 

Most of the major gods and goddesses came, aside from a few of my rivals. (Aphrodite and Hera of course. It didn't exactly make me feel great that the goddess of marriage didn't show up to my bridal shower. What a bad omen.) The food was delicious, served by wind spirits. The magic goblets blessed by Dionysus never ran out of wine.

"Oh, you're lucky to get Percy," one of the minor goddesses blushed. "He's very handsome. Quite a hero."

"Quite," I agreed, feeling a sense of pride. The savior of Olympus was going to be my husband. The stunning new Greek god that everybody wanted. 

"Several goddesses had their eye on Percy," a nymph told me. "He was always with you. Guardian of the hunt."

Towards the end of the party, the conversation buzzed down. A lull filled the room. The crowd of goddesses parted, and Percy stepped through. He looked incredible.

His jet black hair was slicked back and well trimmed, which was odd. Normally it was disheveled. He wore a Greek toga that showed off his muscles and golden bands around his wrist. His sea green eyes shown through the crowd, and landed on me.

He smiled, and for a moment time slowed down. I thought it was my imagination, but considering he was the god of time, maybe it wasn't.

"Milady," he bowed formally. "I was told it was my time to join the party."

Percy engaged in conversation with everyone that approached him. He was a people person for sure, chatting with all of my friends. Finally, at a break in the gossip, Percy and I were able to make it outside to the balcony.

He exhaled a sigh and looked out over the setting sun. "A good view," he said. He had a golden goblet in his hand, but I knew for a fact that boy was most likely drinking blue cherry coke, not wine. 

"A good view," I agreed. Flowers grew over the quartz railing. The gardens of my palace spread out below us.

"It's beautiful," he said. "Like you."

I blushed. "You're mistaken, my Lord."

"Definitely not," he said and looked around quickly. "What do you say we take a walk?"

"A walk?" I asked. 

"Ditch the party and go for a walk," he said, nodding towards the gardens.

"Percy," I groaned. "That's not a good look."

"They won't even realize we're gone," he said. "C'mon, let's go."

Without a word, Percy jumped over the railing, plummeting downwards. He hit the ground in a forward roll, channeling the momentum. 

I peered over the edge, rolling my eyes. "You can't be serious."

"Jump," he called up. "It's one small leap for a goddess."

"Get back up here, Percy," I hissed. 

"Looks like you're going to have to come down here and get me," he shrugged, making an innocent face.

I glanced over my shoulder to be sure nobody was around before reluctantly slipping over the railing. 

"Yes!" Percy said as I landed a little ways away from him.

"Okay, I'm down here," I grumbled. "Now let's walk back up."

"Not so fast," he complained. "Just a few minutes, Artemis."

"A few minutes?" I demanded. "This is my bridal shower, I need to be up there-"

He snapped his fingers and the tone of the chatter from the party above seemed to drop three octaves. Around the garden, falling leaves slowed down on their descent. 

"Percy-"

"I'm the god of minutes," he said. "How many can you spare?"

I tried not to blush. He touched my wrist and pulled me into a kiss. "I missed you," I admitted.

"Did you?" He asked. "I still think I missed you more."

He took my hand and spun me in a circle. I laughed, feeling unfortunately giddy inside. It was still a feeling I wasn't used to but liked. "We need to get back up there."

"Need need need," he sighed. "What about want?"

"Well, what do you want, then?" I asked.

"A moment with you?" He asked. 

I shook my head. "Come on Percy. Back to the party."

"Wait- seriously," he said. He reached into the folds of his toga and brought out a small box. "I-I..." he shook his head nervously. 

"What is it?" I asked.

"I didn't like how Zeus arranged this," he said. "I didn't think it was fair. I don't like how he told you about it. Breaking the news in front of everybody like that just isn't right. It hasn't sat well with me, I guess." I nodded slowly. He opened the lid to the box and continued. "This is an engagement ring. I don't agree with the arranged part of it, but..." he stopped, apparently deciding he didn't want to tell me.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing." He said quickly. I could tell he was lying. "I just think... maybe the marriage will work out for us."

He offered me the ring and I had to try not to tear up. It had a silver band. In the middle, a silver crescent moon was intertwined with a sea green one, like a yin and yang. It was so sweet that Percy had thought to do this. He had truly done it out of care for me. What other man would even care if I agreed to this or not?

"Percy..." I breathed. "This is- you're amazing. This means so much to me."

I hugged him, pressing my face into his chest. His strong arms wrapped around me, pulling me closer.

"Shall we?" He said after a few moments.

"We probably should." This time, I was the one reluctant to pull away.

He laced my arm in his and we walked towards the entrance to my palace.