19- The Goddess and the Guardian

We'll do it until you admit you're in love

Percy

My eyes flickered open.

I was cold, freezing cold, and shivering. My whole body ached, and a wave of exhaustion hit me. I didn't want to get up, I never wanted to get up. I was in pain. Could I get up? But there was something warm- no, somebody warm. My vision cleared, and I saw Artemis' face looking down at me. Her silver eyes stared into mine. Above us, the sky was cold and heavy, as if it might start snowing again at any moment.

Oh, thank the gods she's alive, was the first thing I thought. It was freezing, but being so close to her made me feel warm inside. I didn't want to move.

"Artemis-" I said weakly.

"Shh," she said. Her hands were in my hair, and my head was in her lap. She put a finger to my lips, and cupped a hand on my cheek. "You're okay. It's okay. Don't try to sit up."

I closed my eyes, warily, leaning into her, just glad for her presence. Even if I could never have her, I was going to soak in the moments when I was with her because she was like a drug. Being with her felt so right, though I knew I could never have her. Even if it felt like at times she felt the same way, she always pulled away, as she should. Her hand caressed my cheek gently. "You were brave, hero. As always."

I sighed in relief, my eyes heavy. "I was just doing my duty."

"You've excelled your duty," she said. "Here."

I opened my eyes to see her breaking bits of golden food into pieces. Ambrosia. She fed me a few bites, and warmth and strength surged through my bones. I sat up, hesitantly and shakily, and faced Artemis. She looked as weak as I felt. There were deep lines etched under her eyes, her face was pale, and she was bleeding from several cuts on her cheek. Despite her tired complexion, I couldn't help but think she looked beautiful. She always looked beautiful, without even trying.

"I..." I couldn't finish my sentence. I looked around. The ruins of the castle littered the floor. Outside, tents and other abandoned buildings were in flames. It looked like a war zone- which, I guess it was. "Thank the gods you're alive," I managed. It felt good to get it off my chest.

"I could say the same about you," Artemis said.

"We need to get back," I said. "Report to the council-"

"No," Artemis insisted. "You're in no shape to even walk."

"But-"

"Percy." The tone of her voice warned me not to argue. I leaned sideways on the palms of my hand. I looked up, and Artemis' eyes looked into mine. In the flash of a second, I remembered what she'd said before we blew the whole place up. That she'd never met a man that made her feel like I did... I felt my cheeks color, and warmth circulated through my body.

"At least you're okay," I finally said, still not being able to express how glad I was that she was okay, that we were fine, that we were together.

"We made a little bit of a mess in the process," Artemis laughed weakly, and brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Her voice was brittle, as if her vocal chords were made of chalk.

"A little bit," I said, still impatient to leave. I knew I was so exhausted that if I tried to flash anywhere I would vaporize, but I wanted to get out of here. The place was so barren. It felt like it was consuming me.

"Can we just stay here for a moment?" Artemis asked softly.

I met her gaze. "Of course, milady."

"I meant... I mean... I don't..." Artemis stumbled through her words. "I thought you were going to die, Perseus."

"I thought you were as good as gone," I stifled a laugh. I felt crazy, laughing when both of us were out in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold. I just couldn't quite comprehend it: I was so glad she was okay.

"And now I just... I'm so grateful that you're alive, I..." Artemis said. "I just want to stay with you."

"Stay here?" I asked.

"No... stay with you." She said.

My whole body felt like it was buzzing with electricity. "What do you-"

She cut me off by grabbing my shirt, breaking the distance in between us and kissing me, a long, slow, hopeful kiss. Everything in me longed for her. I never wanted to stop kissing her. In the Universe right now, all was right. Everything was perfect. The world may be burning down around us, but I'm kissing this amazing, beautiful goddess right now and it doesn't matter. Nobody was there to see us, and nobody else mattered.

Her hand moved to my face, and I put mine on her waist. After a few moments, she pulled away. "I've wanted to do that for so long," I admitted.

"We're even," she said.