9- I Become the God of Capture the Flag

You swoon, you sigh, why deny it?

Percy

It was around 9 when all the campers returned from the campfire. Artemis told the hunters to get settled in for the night and try not to start a riot.

Artemis and I walked to the Big House in silence. I had no idea what had just happened at the archery range and arena, but I knew one thing: I could not get attached to the maiden goddess. The last guy that was in the hunt, Orion, ended up dead. There are different variations of that story, but I didn't want mine to end in a similar fate.

"Percy! My boy! Er, Lord," Chiron quickly corrected himself. "I heard of your success on Mount Olympus."

Chiron bowed. I grinned at him. "No need for that. I could never have done this without you."

"I'll miss having you at camp. I was going to ask if you could stay here, and help us train campers at camp," Chiron admitted. "Since you're the god of heroes and swordsmanship."

"I hadn't thought of that," I said. "That would be fun. Maybe we could work something like that out in the future."

"I suppose we'll have to be building you a cabin soon," Chiron said teasingly.

I felt my face flush. "Not for a long time, Chiron." I assured him. "No junior demigod Percy's running around."

"Lady Artemis," Chiron turned his attention to her. "What brings you to camp? What shall we do for you?"

"A pit stop," Artemis replied. "We're being attacked by a great deal of monsters lately. My hunters are becoming tired. I figured we could spend a day or two in peace here."

"You're always welcomed at Camp Half-Blood," Chiron said. "I suppose we'll have our Capture the Flag match tomorrow night?"

Artemis smirked. "For sure."

The look in her eyes told me that she was amused.

Artemis and Chiron had a short conversation about camp, the hunters, and the happenings on Olympus. I watched the moon as it rose over the ocean.

"Alright," Artemis finally said, and turned to me. "Is that all?"

I nodded. "I think you covered it."

We told Chiron goodnight and headed down the hill towards the cabins. I walked Artemis to the door of Cabin 8.

"Thank you," she said, looking down. "I'll see you in the morning, guardian."

"Of course, Milady," I said. "Goodnight."

"Sleep well," she said as she shut the door.

***

I awoke to the sound of a conch horn the next morning, and lazily got up and got dressed. Along with one of my old Camp Half-Blood t-shirts that had been left in my cabin drawer and jeans, I put on some light leather armor. I was planning to work out in the arena today, so I prepared myself to spar against the Ares warriors with a light bronze chest plate and a wrist guard.

As I finished lacing up my armor, a knock sounded on my cabin door.

"Come in," I called, as I tightened my wrist guard.

The door opened, and Artemis stepped through the threshold.

"Good morning," she said.

"Good morning, Milady," I said. "Welcome to Cabin 3 and how can I help you?"

"Chiron has a proposal," she approached me. "Since you're the god of heroes and attended Camp Half-Blood for so many years, he wants to throw in a twist to our Capture the Flag game."