27- Movie Night With the Jackson's

Artemis

Percy playing with his little sister warmed my heart more than anything I've ever witnessed. Estelle grabbed Percy's hand and led him into the living room in front of a circle of toys to watch Finding Nemo. Percy sat down on the floor by the couch surrounded by various plastic ponies, Barbies and action figures. I sat down behind him and leaned his head back into the couch beside me.

"Percy!" Estelle said. "This part scares me."

It was the opening scene with Nemo's mother getting killed. Estelle jumped and grabbed Percy's arm as she watched, falling into his lap. She didn't stay still for long though, quickly abandoning Percy to play with her toys a few feet in front of him. 

Sally smiled down at her two kids. "I'll go get the cookies. Paul?"

Paul was already passed out in the recliner, snoring softly. 

"Gods help him," Sally sighed. "He works so hard. I'll go get them out of the oven and fix us some drinks."

Percy moved to stand. "Do you need any help?"

Before I had time to admire Percy for always wanting to help people, his mom shook her head. "Don't worry sweetie, I've got it."

She left. The room was dark and I could honestly fall asleep myself. I wondered how Sally must feel, having a son like Percy. He'd saved the world and become the best hero in history, and managed to keep a humility about him. Now he was a god, and treated others as if nothing had changed.

"Come down here with us," Percy said, looking up at me. "Plenty of room on the floor. You look a little lonely up there."

"Oh gods Percy," I rolled my eyes. "You're like a little kid."

Percy grabbed my arm and gave me a pleading look. His sea green eyes made him look like a helpless baby seal. How was I ever going to win an argument? "Pleaseeeee?" He asked. "I'm cold." He crossed his arms and gave me a pouty look.

I rolled my eyes, but allowed him to pull me onto to the floor beside him by my wrist. Sally came in with the cookies a minute later, and sat them down on the table beside of us with mugs of coffee and milk. Percy grabbed a plate and began to tear them apart. 

To be fair, Sally Jackson's blue chocolate chip cookies were next level god food. 

Pretty soon, between Sally, Estelle, Percy and I, we were down to the last cookie. Sally and I politely declined.

"Here," Percy said between laughs after arguing with me about taking the last cookie. He picked it up and broke it in half. "You have half, I have half."

He laid it down on the plate between us. I picked up my half and broke it into smaller pieces, eating it piece by piece. Percy did the same. 

"You're the better half of me," he said. "Even if you steal my cookies."

"Giving up the last cookie," I said. "Sounds like a major thing for you."

Percy nodded. "A grave decision of fate. Never done in the life of Percy Jackson."

I laughed, and fed him a piece of cookie jokingly. It felt silly, but for some reason the little things like our inside jokes and the things we laughed about and smiled about meant everything to me. Even as a goddess seeing thousands of noble things for centuries, receiving offerings and being honored, Percy Jackson managed to bring me to my knees with a blue chocolate chip cookie. 

"Percy," Estelle said. "Look! Look!" 

It was the part with the school full of sea creatures and the sting ray taking them off on the bus. Percy was enjoying this movie way too much.

"You know," Percy said in my ear. "Sting Rays are actually kind of rude."

I managed to laugh. "You're impossible." I leaned into him, laying my head on his shoulder.

"And you're beautiful," he slipped his hand into mine. Estelle's eyes were glued to the movie as she sat criss-cross apple sauce in front of us. "Watch this." Percy waved his hand and a plastic toy Nemo appeared out of thin air in his palm. He moved his arm behind his back to shield it from her view. "Estelle, I have a present for you."

She turned, eyes bright. "A present?"

Percy brought the toy from behind his back. "For the best little sister ever." 

Her eyes widened and she grabbed it from his palm. "Nemo!" She threw her arms around him and hugged him.

Halfway through the movie, Percy put his arm around me. I leaned into him, my cheeks red. I had never done this before, but it felt so right. Between the darkened room, lights from the TV screen, cookies and him next to me, it had altogether been the perfect night.

"You're amazing with your little sister," I said. 

He smiled. "I love my little sister."

And I love you, I thought, but didn't say aloud. It was one thing that was getting harder and harder to hold back. 

I won't say I'm in love. That would make it real. We were getting married, we had kissed, I was a maiden, so many factors contributed to making this so complicated. Admitting how I felt would make it real. I couldn't do that, I couldn't quite risk it. Not yet, at least.