21- I Kiss That Goddess Again

Get off my case, I won't say it

Percy

I woke up and had no idea where I was, which might seem scary, but had honestly become a norm in my life. 

Artemis.

It was amazing how she was my first thought once I was conscious. The events rolled back over me in waves- the primordial, the titans, the chains, the snow and the biting cold and the kiss. The kiss.

I lay motionless, and stared up at the tall domed silvery ceiling. Light spilled in from a window above the head of my bed. Realization dawned on me that I must have been in Artemis palace. I sat up, and my suspicions were confirmed: a huge moving chart of constellations hung on the wall over a desk where a bronze globe sat spinning slowly. On my left, a sofa sat in the corner and a map took up a large portion of the long walls. It was covered in red markings, and I registered that this must have been some of the places her hunting expeditions had taken her. On my right, a shelf full of books, some pictures, a drawer, and a door. 

I swung my feet over the side of the bed, and in the silver of the palace walls, I could see my reflection. My hair was windswept, and I was in a white Greek toga. Golden cuffs were on my wrists, and silver sandals cloaked my feet. I looked like an Ancient Greek hero. I stood, stretched, and headed for the door.

I had never been in Artemis' palace before, so I knew for sure I would get lost. I pushed open the door and was greeted with a long hallway full of pictures and mementos- maps, pages of books, parts of scrolls, pictures with hunters, trophy bows, and other souvenirs hung from the walls. 

I had no idea which way to go to find Artemis or the living area. I looked to my left and right, and decided to go with my right. I took a few steps, and then stopped to observe a picture.

Artemis sat at a campfire with her arm around one of her hunters. Her lieutenant, Zoe Nightshade. A pang of hurt and remembrance weighed on my heart. Above that, a few entries from what I guessed were Zoe's hunters journal, a few more photos, and a star map of the hunter constellation.

"So I see you woke up," called a voice from down the corridor, causing me to just about jump out of my skin. Artemis laughed, and I couldn't help but think it was the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard. "Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

"Milady," I bowed to her respectfully. She looked stunning. She wore a white Greek dress with silver jewelry, her auburn hair freely tumbling down her shoulders. She looked like a Greek princess.

"You don't have to call me that anymore, Percy," she shook her head. She'd told me that a million times, but I always forgot. "I'm glad you're awake."

"Me too," I said. "How long was I out?"

Artemis frowned. "3 days. You missed a lot. They wanted you to report to Olympus as soon as you wake up, but... if you want to rest some more, that's fine. Your father is worried sick. So are the hunters and Chiron."

"The hunters," I said. "Are they okay?"

"They made it to camp," Artemis nodded. "They've been there while I've been nursing you back to health."

"Thank you," I said. "You saved my life."

Artemis looked down. "We're even, remember?"

My words caught in my throat. There was so much I wanted to say. "We don't have to... you don't... if you don't want to bring that up, I understand. We don't have to talk about it. Just say the word and it's out the window. I'll forget about it."

Her eyes bore into me. "I... I don't want to forget about it. Unless you do."

My eyebrows rose, and warmth filled my cheeks. "You...?"

She walked towards me. "What I said, I meant."

"But you weren't exactly clear," I said. "See, I'm oblivious. You should say it plainly and straightforward."

She stopped a few inches in front of me, touched my face, and kissed me. My heart skipped a beat, and time stopped. Hell, maybe I actually did stop it. I don't know. Artemis pulled away, and took my hand. "Does that clear anything up?"

I put my fingers under her chin, and tilted her head up, kissing her again. I had wanted to kiss her for so long, I couldn't help it. "Yes." I said as I pulled away.

She sighed, as if she were relieved. "I..."

"We should go to Olympus," I said. "We have to-"

"No." She said. "Just... a few more minutes."

She put her head on my chest, and I pulled her closer, wondering how the heck I'd gotten lucky enough for this. 

"Your hearts beating fast," Artemis said, looking up at me.

"It always does that around you," I said. 

She smiled and looked down. "I'm just so happy."

"What?" I asked.

"This," she said. "This makes me so happy."

"Me too," I said, resting my chin on her head. Still, I wanted to say so much. All those things I'd been holding back for months in the woods had been boiling inside me, and I wanted to burst. But I would slow down, I would wait. Artemis was definitely worth the wait. We stood there for a few moments, before she pulled away.

"Now," she said, sighing. "Since Lord Zeus is so impatient."

"Agreed," I said.

"My father doesn't like to be kept waiting. Shall we?" Artemis asked.

"See you there," I said.

I flashed to Olympus.