4- Introducing the Hunters

Percy

We sat around a blazing campfire. The cool of winter had just began to give light to the approaching spring. I had found out we were in New Jersey. Not too far from Camp.

We were in a clearing in a forest. It was a quiet night. The hunters roasted marshmallows, and ate food that Artemis summoned. Some had pizza, some steak. I wasn't that hungry.

"That boy that Artemis turned into a deer," I overheard one of the girls say.

I silently swore to myself I wouldn't let any man touch any of them.

Artemis sat calmly on a log sharpening a stick she'd found into a spear. The firelight danced across her face. She was relaxed, and peaceful. Streaks of silver were braided into her auburn hair. She looked beautiful, and she wasn't even trying.

"Perseus," said one of the girls. I jumped, a little startled. I hadn't realized I'd been staring. "I'm Kendra," she introduced herself with a huge smile.

Everybody began introducing themselves. A few of them I had already met. It was hard to believe they'd been around through so much- the quest to free Artemis, the Last Battle, and the giant war. It all seemed like so long ago. While I had been living my life saving the world, they were living their lives, playing a different roll. Serving Artemis, and assisting us in the Titan War. All of us had been through so much. Notably, Thalia, who was pained when I had to tell her the news of Annabeth. She'd already lost her brother, and Luke. I couldn't imagine what it felt like losing somebody else that was so close to her. Losing Annabeth was hard for everybody. Athena had even been upset about it.

We were in the woods, following the scent when I told her. Thalia had just stared at the path we were following grimly, looking at nothing. Then, she simply said, "she was like my sister." And trudged on. That's what you have to do, I guess. Trudge on.

They continued introducing themselves, and telling me stories. They joked around like a family. For a half second, it felt like the camp fire at Camp Half-Blood. Artemis threw her head back laughing, and teasing them. She looked right at home, and truly happy. I realized maybe I could feel that way with this group soon. Maybe I'd have somewhere I could belong. For some reason, I was glad Artemis was so happy. It made me happy to see her happy, though I didn't know why. I figured it must've been because of my responsibility regarding the hunt. My duty to the hunt probably burdened me with everybody's happiness, including Artemis herself.

As I recalled from my brief experience in my fathers palace during the Titan War, my father looked like he had aged 10 years in just minutes because he reflected the state of his domain.

"Tell us how you got here," one of the hunters said excitedly. "What did you do for them to offer you godhood again? Why didn't you turn it down this time?

"Well..." I started, a little taken aback. What was I supposed to say? That I had had a rough journey and the gods felt bad, so they gave me a sympathy gift? And why did I not turn it down? I had nothing left keeping me mortal. No Annabeth. No friends. I couldn't bare to walk into Camp Half-Blood haunted by the memories of all the lost ones around me. Artemis looked up at me, and her piercing silvery grey eyes bore into me. "I wanted a new start."

It was true. I hoped, just maybe, the Hunt could give me something new to live for. A change might be good.

Artemis softened.

"We openly welcome you, Perseus. I offered him this position, girls. He is brave, courageous, a fantastic fighter. He is humble, and good. He'll take care of you."

Artemis

The girls were already so accepting of Percy, and he was already so good with them. I watched as he talked to them, and listened intently. I've learned a lot the past millennia from observing. That's what you do, as a hunter. You observe, and then attack. I was almost positive I had chosen the right guardian. I watched him humbly make light of all his adventures. I watched him patiently listen to them, never raising his voice or getting annoyed. I watch him give them a genuine smile. And then, I watched how the corners of his lips curved into a smile, how he cocked his head a little when he laughed, and how his eyes lit up. Stop that! I scolded myself. I could almost hear Aphrodite laughing.

"Curse her," I muttered aloud. Nobody noticed.

Percy looked up at me, and gave me that smile: the mischievous, troublemaker smile that was always the first thing anybody noticed about him. I silently prayed it would burn itself into my mind.

"Alright, hunters," I finally said. "Try to get some sleep. We'll leave at daybreak."

They all stood, put out the fire and made their way back to their tents.

"Percy," I said. "Let me show you to your tent."

I led him to a tent beside mine, and showed him inside. "Wow," he breathed.

Subconsciously, I realized I was alone with a boy. I was prepared to slap him if he tried anything. But I knew Percy Jackson, and Percy was not the kind of man that would disrespect me in any way.

"They're magic," I said. "They match your mood, and usually have a bit of your personality in them."

Percy's tent wallpaper was absolutely breathtaking. The view was from the back of a ship on the ocean. They were standing looking out over the starboard rail. The waves moved, gently lapping the hull. Spread out above us was a beautiful night sky. In the stars, I saw the hunter constellation. Then I realized I was in one of Percy's memories. I was seeing things from his point of view. A living memory was plastered on the insides of the tent.

"The Argo II," Percy said. "This was the night after Annabeth and I got back from Tartarus." He looked around, then up at the shifting sky. "This was where Annabeth and I stood and told the stars that Bob said hello."

I remembered Percy's encounter in Tartarus with the Titan that had his memory wiped.

"There's some peaceful moments in the middle of a raging war," Percy admitted. "I didn't know if I'd ever see the night sky again."

It was truly a beautiful sentiment. "I'll leave you to get ready," I said. I felt like I was intruding on a personal moment. "I'll see you in the morning. Goodnight, Perseus."

"Goodnight, Lady Artemis," he said, and bowed respectfully.

I exited his tent.