24- The Blessing of Poseidon

Percy

"You have a nerve, Lady Artemis," Poseidon growled dangerously. "To stand and say such against my son in there."

"Peace, Father," I broke in, and protectively put an arm in front of Artemis. Force of habit. "It's okay. She has a right to be angry about this situation."

"I'm not," she quickly clarified. "I'm sorry, I was just... confused. Scared."

"It's okay," I reassured her. "Father, is the Council dismissed?"

"Gods of Olympus," Poseidon cursed. "It might has well have been a full on war. Zeus couldn't even harbor in control. He called it off, and said we'd reconvene tomorrow."

Artemis nodded slowly. My throat felt like it was made of sandpaper. "And was anything else said?"

"Why, when the two of you walked out," Poseidon shook his head. "The whole palace turned into a madhouse. Aphrodite, shrieking about forbidden love coming to the surface. Ares, wanting to pulverize somebody. Dionysus and Demeter, talking about bread and wine for the wedding. Zeus, Athena, myself and Apollo arguing. Hera arguing with Hephaestus. Hades jumping in at random on whatever argument he pleased, the guy always was an odd man out. Hermes, making business calls and taking long enough phone breaks to yell at whomever he so wanted to yell at for no exact reason. Zeus stopped it before a food fight could break out. Dionysus wine grapes, Demeter's cereal flakes, Athena's olives and Apollo's arrows all would be horrifying projectiles."

Artemis nodded thoughtfully. "This wedding is necessary. I may not agree with it quite yet, but I will soon come to be grateful, I'm sure. I just need time. However, I am sure this is the right decision."

I took Artemis hand. "Father, it might not be happening the way I planned, but it looks like it's happening nonetheless."

Poseidon nodded solemnly. "Indeed... though it appears that neither of you are too awfully disappointed." His look was skeptical. 

I felt my cheeks get hot. "Oh, no, we never-"

"Anyways," Artemis continued. "Aside from our friendship, which is all it was, I feel this marriage may grow in time."

"Oh?" Poseidon asked. "Are we kissing friends now?"

My cheeks felt hotter. "You saw-"

"I saw," Poseidon agreed. "But nevertheless, I am happy you both are happy. And your secrets safe with me. I just expect a nice Fathers Day gift."

"That brings me to something that obviously needs to be done, Father," I continued, ignoring his Fathers Day comment. I think saving the world was a fine enough present. "Your blessing."

Poseidon's face shifted. For a moment, I was nervous, until his mouth burst into a grin. "Percy! Do you know how much I enjoy Artemis' company? Why, we fish together sometimes. She hunts some sea creatures. I even taught her how to sail. Of course the two of you can have my blessing! It's Zeus you have to worry about."

I groaned inwardly at the mention of the Lord of the Skies, but bowed respectfully. "Thank you, Father."

"Of course," Poseidon threw an arm around both of us and steered us back towards the throne room. "He'll be waiting. And really, Percy, you should visit your mother."

"Of course," I agreed. "I'll go at once... as soon as I finish getting the Supreme Ruler of the World's blessing to marry his daughter."

Words I never thought I'd be saying. I looked down at Artemis, who was smiling at the ground. Her cheeks were pink. 

We entered the throne room and I bowed respectfully. "Lord Zeus," I said in the best godly voice I could muster. "I come to ask you for your blessing."

"Oh, bah," Dionysus said from the corner. "A blessing to marry a maiden goddess? Tsk tsk tsk. Zeus, the worse of luck will be after you."

"You're still here?" Zeus glared at him.

"Oh, bother," Dionysus snorted in a hybrid mixture of a bored and annoyed tone. He disappeared with a pop! and the faint scent of wine grapes.

"Lord Perseus," Zeus said gravely. "I do grant your wish. I give you my blessing to marry my daughter. But if you do not treat her with the utter most respect, I will blast you into bits and scatter your remains in Tartarus for a millennia."

"Ah, c'mon, Pops," I sighed. "Can't you think of anything more original?"

Zeus didn't react to my joke, but turned his attention to Artemis. "My daughter, I hope you will accept my apologies."

"In time... perhaps." Artemis said shortly. "But if you don't mind, I must explain to my Hunters that I have failed them. Goodbye, father."

She flashed away, leaving me alone in the throne room with my father and Zeus. 

Zeus looked at me dubiously. "To marry Artemis, Perseus. I'll just have you know, I am extremely protective of her."

"Then why are you forcing her to marry?" I asked. 

Zeus nostrils flared, but I figured it wouldn't be the first time I'd ticked him off. "You dare question my rulings, boy?"

"No," I said, shrugging. "I want only what Artemis wants. If she's happy, I am."

The fire in Zeus eyes died a bit. "You love her, don't you?"

I shrugged again, playing it off. "So what if I did or didn't? It doesn't matter now, does it? I'll take care of your daughter. I'll make sure she never feels alone, I'll always be there for her. When nobody else has gone to her rescue, I have. I've protected her for months now, though she doesn't need my protection. She's the goddess everybody dreams of having, but can never have. Now, I have her. I don't plan to take it lightly. But, I need to tell my mother of the wedding. She'll want to know that her son is getting married."

Zeus nodded. "You're dismissed."

I bowed again. "Goodbye,  father in law."

I flashed to the door of my mothers apartment.