16- I Walk Into a Trap

No chance, no way, I won't say it.

Artemis

The snow billowed across the mountain in thick, white sheets. It was cold, windy, and miserable. I was beyond the reach of the gods, heading straight for our enemies headquarters. I knew the odds were very much not in my favor. But somebody had to do this. I knew the sacrifice. I had to be careful. Nobody would come to rescue me if I was caught. I understood the heavy consequences if I failed. I was stealthy, and quick. They decided I was best for this quest.

I trudged through the snow, it's icy sting biting at my face, my hands. I gripped my bow tighter, and plunged ahead into the darkness. The mountain was steep and slick. Looking up at the towering fortress above, any slimmer of hope I had at succeeding evaporated. I knew I would not make it out of this place. I would most likely be trapped. But as long as I succeeded my task before that happened...

One step after another, I climbed the steep slopes.

I found myself thinking of Percy. I knew he would be worried. I prayed he wouldn't come after me, though I knew if he even so much as once questioned my general well-being, he would. He was the god of loyalty. I had to hope he would stay away. I couldn't risk him.

Percy was everything I desired in one person.

He was brave, and understood that I was too. He never once looked at my hunters in any romantic or inappropriate way. He'd never even looked at me like that.

I had fell for him, hard. But being a maiden goddess,I had to stay behind, watching him from a distance, and wondering what it would be like to be his lover.

Snows began falling so heavy it was blinding. I stumbled, but reached the crest of the mountain. Behind me, any trace or track of my being there had been covered up, drowning in the new layers of snow. I approached the stone wall of the fortress, and drew an arrow out of my quiver. The gates had long since been locked, and there was no other way in. Using two arrows as an anchor, I'd have to get up and over the old fashioned way. I drove one arrow in between the cracks of the stone bricks, and began hefting myself up, one brick at a time.

I reached the top, and looked down over the snowy camps below me. As far as I could see, monsters, demigods, gods and Titans were gathered down below, all performing various tasks. Tents, campfires, armories, training areas, javelin throwing ranges, mess halls and more were all laid out in an organized array. Watchful guards had their eyes glued to the horizon from the peaks of guard towers. I snickered inwardly.

In the center, a huge obsidian palace with blackened windows loomed over everything else, casting a long shadow. It glinted evilly in the starlight. Ouranous' palace. I kept my head down, and walked along the tops of the walls, carefully balancing myself on the small pathway. The wind and snow did not make it easy, but I had trained for things like this.

My powers had been greatly lessened since I got here. I knew I would never be able to flash away if I needed to. I felt less energized, and just plain weak. I could sense old, ancient powers at work here, sucking away my own.

When I reached the closest point from the walls to the palace, I jumped down, dive rolling out of my fall so I wouldn't get hurt. I scanned the area, trying to target the easiest and sneakiest way to the palace.

I wove in between tents, tables, and leather armor dummies, carefully sneaking over to the palace. Conveniently, the gigantic front doors were left unlocked.

Definitely not a coincidence, I thought, but stepped inside nonetheless, careful to cling to the shadowy walls. I wandered deeper into the palace, keeping my eye out for what I was after: a single sacrificial dagger.

I know it sounded silly, but it was Ouranous weapon, his concentration of power. If I could just get my hands on it and destroy it, his essence would simply lose all of it's strength. It was our only hope. I approached his empty, vast throne room, and walked across it, clinging to the shadows. I almost would have passed the room by had a sparkle from the arm of the throne not caught my eye. Glistening in the moonlight was a celestial bronze dagger hanging from his armrest. I looked around carefully, before darting towards it. Just as I was almost there, torches all around me flickered on. I stopped dead in my tracks, and looked around wildly.

"Ah, Artemis," a voice boomed. "How nice of you to stop by, my beautiful goddess."

A group of Titans burst through the door, glowering at me menacingly.

"What have we here," the booming voice of Themis the Titan sneered. "Got a goddess in our snare?"

"I believe I've caught you in this position before," growled the voice of Atlas. "And this time, no help will be coming. Nobody is crazy enough to come for you here."

"You're all out of luck, Artemis," Crius smirked. "But you'll be a great bargaining chip."

"A shame she's a maiden goddess," one said. The chorus of insults continued. I remembered why I hated men so much. Well, most men. The memory of Percy burned my chest, and I missed him more than anything. If I ever saw him again, I wouldn't let him out of my sight.

They rushed forward and tied me up in bonds. Atlas looked down at me, and said, "my apologies, really." Before hitting me so hard that everything went black.