17- I Become the Bait of a Trap

Give up, give in, check the grin
You're in love

Artemis

I woke up to my head pounding in a stone room with a barred door. I moved to stand, but was held back. Looking down, I realized I was chained to the wall. Celestial bronze shackles were cuffed around my feet and hands. My powers were already weakened, and this cage seemed to sap me of my strength. I groaned, and collapsed against the wall.

"Ahh, our pretty little goddess is awake," a voice echoed through the hallway. The door to my cell swung open, and Atlas emerged, smirking down at me. "Alone and helpless, Artemis may be the most pathetic, predictable goddess out there. Of course she would try to scale the walls of our fortress and steal Ouranous symbol of power."

"Only a coward would keep me trapped here," I said.

"It's the rules of war, really," Atlas said coldly. "Hostages are bait."

"Why don't you fight me yourself, if you're such a man," I said. "Well... I suppose you wouldn't want to embarrass yourself again."

His eyes burned with anger at the thought of the fight on Mt. Tam, where he killed my lieutenant Zoe, and I tricked him into taking the sky for Percy.

Percy.

Everything in me wanted him more than anything right now. Sweet, caring, brave, respectful, humble, daring, determined, selfless. All of those and a hundred more things, all things I had grown to admire, all things I couldn't resist.

Atlas smiled cruelly, as if reading my thoughts. "Nobody would be foolish enough to come after you here, Artemis," he said evilly. "Well... maybe one certain god of loyalty."

"No." I said, fighting against my bonds. 

"Of course we'd bait your Guardian," Atlas said. "It's his job to protect you, isn't it? And your emotions are tied. He knows you're in trouble."

"He has orders from me," I said. "To stay with the Hunt. To watch the Hunt. It's his job to protect the Hunt."

Atlas laughed, a bellowing sound that rung through the entire dungeon. "When has Percy Jackson ever followed orders?"

Well, that was a good point. Another reason I couldn't help but fall for him.

"The goddess becomes the bait," Atlas said. "He won't be able to resist your call for help."

"My what?" I asked.

"Well... let's just say we sent him a little message." Atlas said.

"No!" I yelled. "You can't! Take me, but don't you dare for a second bring him into this!"

Atlas stared at me, confused, and then he burst into a wicked grin. "Artemis my dear, is there more to Perseus than you're telling us?"

My face grew hot. "He's my closest friend. My guardian and companion."

"Well, in that case, we'll just really have to layer the cake." With that, Atlas slammed the door to my prison and left me alone.

I started sobbing. I didn't want to believe it, but I had fallen for Percy: hard. And the idea that he could be in danger, especially because of me, shook me to the core. 

Percy

Apollo talked me into staying at his palace for the night, and showed me his guest bedroom. He said I wouldn't want to follow Artemis' trail until morning, as it was especially dangerous at night. I couldn't believe they would send Artemis up there alone, but especially alone at night.

"They didn't want to risk two of us," Apollo said. "Artemis said she was up for the job."

"Artemis is always up for the job," I agreed. "She's the most qualified out of any of us to go. But that doesn't mean she should."

"Aww, Percy," Apollo winked. "It's cute how you care."

"No, I-"

"Love is poetry, you see," Apollo said. "I feel a haiku-"

"I'm really tired, actually," I quickly interrupted. "Goodnight, Lord Apollo."

I shut my door, but Apollo stood outside nonetheless, and recited his lines, which I could hear clearly through the door:

"Percy's on his way
To rescue the girl he loves
How romantic, sigh."

I didn't reply, though I felt my heart grow heavy. I laid down, defeated, and tried to go to sleep. The worry of Artemis being in trouble bit at me. I missed her. And as much as I didn't want to admit it, as it could never go anywhere: I had fallen for her.

My brain was racked with thoughts of her. Being away from her was almost as bad as being near her. I couldn't decide which made me feel the worse. Eventually, I finally fell asleep.

"Lady Artemis," the titan Atlas bellowed in my dream. "Nobody is going to come for her here. You're on your own."

She lay unconscious on the floor of a stone prison, chained to the wall. I couldn't tell if she was hurt or not. I wanted to rush forward, to make sure she was okay, but I couldn't. It was just a dream.

"Too bad she's a maiden goddess," a gruff voice grumbled from behind Atlas.

"Now what's that got to do with anything?" Atlas said. "Bah. Far as I'm concerned, she's all yours once we finish interrogating her."

Anger boiled in me, turning my blood to fire. If any of them dare laid a finger on her...

"Sounds good to me," said another guy in the back.

"We'll take care of her tomorrow," Atlas ordered.

I snapped awake to the morning air. Before thinking anything through, I let my instincts take over. I flashed as near as I could to Greenland, and headed for Ouranus' palace.