23- The Gardens

At least out loud I won't say I'm in love

Percy

My fingers gripped the marble balcony in the gardens of Mount Olympus. Fanning out below me, New York City lay restless in the night. The air blew gently, rippling through my hair and Greek tunic. My golden laurel wreath crown rested against my forehead gently.

The wonderful smell of all the flowers in the garden wafted through the air, peacefulness surrounded the gardens, and in the distance, the murmuring of the beautiful music of the Nine Muses spread through the air. But I didn't care about that. What had happened in there with Artemis?

I tried not to think about how she had kissed me. Did that mean anything to her? To me it did... But I needed to separate my own feelings. This was about her. I could understand her being confused. All of this is coming at her and it's moving fast. She's a maiden, she doesn't know what to do. Maybe she didn't want to be in a relationship with me, she just couldn't help that she liked me. I thought about what Aphrodite had said, about how she loved me but wished she didn't. That just made me feel great.

I stared intently at the city below. The city that had it's own patterns, that moved like a well oiled machine. I remembered my old life, where at least some things made sense. If being a demigod had been complicated, being a god was extremely convoluted. 

I hadn't done anything wrong. Artemis had kissed me. Twice. Whether she wanted to love me or not, she had kissed me. Now, I was confused. Maybe in front of all the other Olympians she panicked. I guessed nobody knew what had happened in Greenland, as it was the land beyond the gods. Nobody would have known what had happened in Artemis' palace, either, as gods and goddesses palace were enchanted and magical so nobody could see inside or spy. 

There were clearly a lot of factors in this problem.

"Kid," a voice called from the stone pathway that wove through the gardens. His aura made me steam on the inside.

"Lord Ares." I muttered. "And how may I help you on this fine evening?"

"Look kid," Ares grumbled. "I don't like you. But I feel bad. You have feelings for her, yeah? Gees, Aphrodite, she always talks about how it radiates off of both of you. But she didn't put Zeus up to this. I don't think it had anything to do with the way either of you feel, it's just the war."

That didn't make me feel any better. "Thanks." I said bitterly.

Ares walked up beside me and joined me at the railing. "Hey kid, comforting people isn't really my thing. Now, punching a wall? Taking your anger out? That's more my speed. Wanna ride a Harley down a free way at 120 miles per hour? That's on my radar. But a soft spot? Forget it, that's only for Aphrodite, man. Point is, I can't make you feel better. I have a feeling only one person can do that, and she's currently M.I.A. Truth? Artemis digs you man, nobody has ever made her feel this way. She probably doesn't know how to react. Probably scared. Take it slow." 

I sighed. "I can't tell. Thanks for trying, though." It was more of an effort than anybody else had taken.

Ares slapped my shoulder. "So take a breather, clear your head, but I'd suggest just slightly pulling yourself together. because I have a feeling your pops will be out here to check on you soon. Oh, and I still don't like you. Adios man."

Ares walked off, leaving me alone. The man to man talk with the god of war was the only pleasant conversation I'd ever had with him. His footsteps grew fainter, until they disappeared completely. I thought about what he said, and played everything over in my mind again: the kiss on the mountain, what had happened only a few hours ago in Artemis palace, the throne room, the eye contact, Zeus' announcement. I thought about the times in the woods I caught Artemis staring at me, the creek after the Capture the Flag match, the way she pulled me in. I touched a finger to my lips lightly, thinking about the way hers felt on mine. The sword fighting arena, the running inside jokes, the way she slept next to my bed so I wouldn't have nightmares.