15- My Goddess is in Trouble

Face it like a grown-up,
When you gonna own up that you got it bad?

Percy

A few weeks later

The cool thing about being a god? I don't have to sleep.

I stayed awake all night watching over the camp peacefully and practicing some of my new powers.

I could appear as a 16 year old guy. Not that I'd ever want to do that, I definitely preferred my 18 year old form because I still felt like an 18 year old, but still. I could transform into a wolf. I could slow down time like Kronos did. I could make any kind of blue food appear out of thin air.

That last power was definitely the most important, by the way.

The days in the hunt began passing by. I quickly began to adjust to my new lifestyle. Most nights, I watched over the hunters, and practiced my new skills. We hunted animals, sang and laughed.

Artemis and I slowly became closer. At first, she had her guard up. But soon, she became more accepting of my company. We competed in archery (she always won), hunting, and tracking. She often saved my skin. I slowly started becoming better with a bow, thanks to her help. We talked in the woods. Our friendship deepened. We were hunting companions, but I would be lying if I said I hadn't ever had a slimmer of hope that we could be more than that. That hope was quickly diminished every time I looked at her. She's a maiden goddess, I reminded myself. And I would respect that. I never tried to move on her.

***

It had been a normal, uneventful night. I started practicing my sword work at the first sign of morning light. A little while later, the sun touched the sky and the hunters began to stir, coming outside for breakfast.

As more and more of them filed out, I looked around, confused. "Where's Artemis?" I asked.

"She left in the middle of the night," Thalia said. "Said she had a mission."

My blood boiled. I felt very protective over Artemis, though I knew she could fend for herself.

"How did I not notice?" I asked. Thalia made her way to the breakfast table, and picked up a powdered donut.

She snorted. "Artemis has a way with stealth, Percy. Did she not tell you she was leaving?"

Worry began to climb it's way into my throat. "Did she tell you anything about this mission?"

"Very important," Thalia said. "Very dangerous. She wanted you to watch after the hunt."

I stared at her blankly. "What if she get's in trouble?"

Thalia sighed, and slumped down in her chair by the fire. "That's what I don't like about it, Percy. She was given this task last night by Olympus."

"What's happening on Olympus?" I asked. "Why am I not in the loop?"

"There's a war brewing," Thalia sighed. "Again."

"Who? Who wants to start another war?" I asked.

"Ouranus himself." Thalia said.

I stared at her in disbelief. Then a frightening thought etched its way into my mind. "Thalia, Ouranus is a horrible, powerful enemy. That's too dangerous. Why did they send Artemis out alone? Who is she facing?"

"Lady Artemis can hold her own," Thalia said. "She said to continue following the scent of the hydra. We're close. Come on Percy, even if Artemis did get in trouble, we know the enemy would bait you with her. Your fatal flaw is loyalty."

Yeah... that's the reason they would bait me with Artemis. I thought about all those times in the woods, how close we had become. How often I had been tempted to kiss her, but held back because I knew she would never want me like that.

Of course I would go after her. I'm the god of loyalty.

"Awaiting your orders, Lord Perseus," Phoebe said behind me. "The only man we'll follow."

I stood silently for a moment, their eyes all on me. My duty was to the hunt. I should stay with the hunt. But Artemis is part of the Hunt, and I have a very bad feeling about this.

Artemis can hold her own, the other part of me argued. She's powerful and strong-willed. She doesn't need you to come save her.  "Pack up camp." I finally said. "We'll start following the trail again."

The hunters quickly packed up their things and we set off towards the west.

About halfway into the morning, I stopped. There was a tear in my heart, and I knew something was wrong. This feeling had been building all morning. I turned to Thalia. "Look, I'm sorry. I don't want to do this, and I know Artemis ordered us to continue on with the trail. But I know Artemis is in trouble. She's in danger. I have to help her. Thalia, you're in charge. Get the hunters to Camp Half-Blood and stay there. I'll call you if I need any help."

"Percy, wait-"

I turned, and ran the opposite direction. I had no idea where Artemis had gone.

I started thinking hard, tossing around my ideas. Who would know? I had to find her.

A light bulb went off in my head, and I almost groaned.

Apollo.

I could only imagine what he would say. Probably something like:

I know you like her
Well bud, she is in danger
You must go help her

I cringed inwardly, but flashed to Apollo's palace. If you've never been to Apollo's palace, it's got to be one of the brightest things you'll ever look at. Everything is golden and quartz. Bows, laurel wreaths, and trophies line the walls. He has statues of himself everywhere. Normally, he has a girl there with him. Apollo lay on a couch in the living room, flipping through Olympus TV.

"Percy, what brings you here?" He asked, looking up at me.

"Artemis is in danger." I said. "You have to help me find her."

He gave me a confused look. "Percy, Artemis said she had her quest completely under control. She didn't tell you about it because she didn't want you to come looking for her."

"Because she knew it would be dangerous," I said. "And she didn't want anybody risking their lives."

"Right," Apollo agreed. "You should respect her wishes."

"Apollo, something is wrong. Don't you feel it?" I demanded.

Apollo frowned.

"Where is the quest?" I asked again. "Where is it?"

Apollo sighed. "Artemis is on her way straight to Ouranous domain, in his sky palace at the edge of the world."

"So, Canada?"

"Farther."

"You're gonna have to help me out. I'm the god of tides, not geography." I said.

Apollo started to say something, then stopped, and said, "oh my gods Percy... you're the god of tides... my sister is the goddess of the moon... THOSE GO TOGETHER."

Apollo started freaking out, and my face felt hot.

"JUST TELL ME WHERE TO GO!" I yelled.

"GREENLAND! AND BE CAREFUL. That land is beyond the gods. When you get there... you'll be alone. Out of the gods help." Apollo said.

I said the first thing that came to my mind out loud: "you guys sent Artemis to the land beyond the gods alone?"

"And it seems to bother you," Apollo said with a wink. "But, it bothers me too. Artemis said she could fend for herself. But all of our powers are weakened up there."

"Nobody captures Artemis," I said. "I'm going after her."