39

"So?" Colby asked. He'd come over to the bleachers to switch places with Rock.

"So, I did it. Did you doubt me at all?" I asked.

"No. Just wasn't sure it'd be so... easy," Colby replied.

"A man like that is easy to control. Life's a game for him. Killing MLK was his big goal and being in jail is like a new level of a video game. One more seemingly impossible task that he can't wait to accomplish," I said.

"And because he thinks you're hot," Colby said.

"Okay, yeah. That probably helps too," I said.

"I really hate him," Colby said.

"I do too. Horrible guy. I hate how... how normal he seems. He doesn't seem to stand out from anyone else until you hear what he did," I said.

"Like the Gein house. Looked so normal until you learned what happened in that attic," Colby said.

"Yeah. Just like that," I agreed. I tucked my hand under my shirt and traced my finger along the big scar that still ran up my torso.

"I am so thankful you made it through that. Every day I wake up and I see you next to me and I just thank fucking god that you're still here," he said. I smiled up at him and stared into those bright blue eyes.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you too," he replied. He set his hand on my thigh. I didn't think anything of it until I looked back to where I'd been sitting with Ray. He was still there, his eyes focused on Colby's hand.

"Shit. Sorry babe," I whispered.

"What?" he asked. I grabbed his hand and shoved it off of my leg, then stood up.

"Fuck off, dude," I grumbled before angrily walking away. Doing that was a seriously hard thing for me. Acting like we weren't dating was already difficult enough. I snuck a glance over at Ray after I'd walked away, his gaze still fixated on Colby. Fuck.

I turned around from where I'd been going and went back over to Ray.

"What a prick," Ray said.

"Who? Brock?" I asked.

"Yeah," he grumbled.

"Nothing I can't handle. Don't worry about it," I said.

"I'm not worried. He should be, though," Ray said.

"The fuck is that supposed to mean?" I asked, my tone growing harsh.

"Woah, why so defensive?" Ray asked. Right. I had to... oh, gross. I had to flirt with this guy.

"I just don't want you to get in trouble, that's all. I'd rather you keep your privileges to come out into the yard and talk to me every day. Plus I think your face probably looks better without a black eye or giant bruise from Jinx," I said.

"Well. I appreciate that. Especially coming from you," Ray smiled. Ew. Gross.

"Mhm," I smiled back.

"Cell time! Evening count! Let's go!" Jinx yelled from the edge of the yard. Ray and I started toward the door to go back inside.

"Hey, I never asked. Who's your cellmate?" Ray asked. Oh no. I wasn't going to tell him it was Colby. I didn't need to give Ray another reason to hate him.