46

'Training' was just Big watching different members of the Center take turns gently beating me up. He didn't offer a single piece of advice, not a word on how I could improve.

"How the fuck is this helpful, exactly?" I asked. I stood up and brushed my pants off from where Red had knocked me onto the ground.

"Exposure," Big said.

"Expo—Big, I could get an equal amount of exposure by watching you morons beat each other up for thirty minutes instead of takings turns just knocking me over," I said. "Can I not at least try starting out with someone who isn't as good at this as you guys are so I can sort of develop my own technique here? You guys have been doing this for literal years,"

Big smiled at me and let out a short chuckle. "Only if you promise you'll actually try."

"Well yeah, I'll fucking try. I don't need any more bruises on my ass," I said.

"Or any more blood coming out of your nose," Red laughed.

"What!" I exclaimed. I lifted my fingers up to my nostril and felt a small trail of blood.

"You'll live. Brock!" Big yelled.

"What's up?" Colby asked, running over from the basketball game they'd been playing.

"You're kidding, right?" I asked.

"Nope. You said you'd try," Big replied.

"And if I don't?" I asked.

"Then you get to go up against me. And I'm not as nice as these guys," Big said.

"Fucking hell," I hissed.

"What am I doing?" Colby asked.

"You're fighting her," said Big.

"I'm... I'm what?" Colby asked.

"You're going to try to beat the shit out of me and I'm going to try to beat the shit out of you and you're going to win. And if you don't do this, then I have to fight Big. I'd much rather fight you. So come on, let's get this over with," I said.

"Are you sure this is a good id—,"

"Woah, maybe he's not who I thought he was," Ray laughed, walking over. I looked over at him in horror. Now was Colby's chance to really solidify the act of making everyone think we really were just friends. But if Colby didn't? We might get completely exposed.

"What?" Colby asked.

"Hit me. Right now," I whispered.

"But—,"

"For the love of...," I whispered. I turned to Colby, drew back my leg, and kneed him in the stomach.

"Oh, shit!" he huffed.

"Come on, Brock. Let's go," Big said, paying no attention to Ray.

"Do I really have to—,"

I elbowed him in the stomach, then brought my leg up behind his and kicked him in the back of the knee making him lose his balance, but not enough to fall down.

"Yes. You do," Big said.

"Knew he couldn't," Ray laughed. He turned in the other direction and started walking away. Fucking shit. Ray could not figure out Colby and I were together. It'd piss him off and maybe even mess up the plan. He wouldn't trust me anymore if he found out I'd basically been lying to him this whole time.