Day 38: Baking Wednesday

Nat's POV

Good morning!' I say cheerfully entering the kitchen while Niall is making some eggs for breakfast.

'Good morning! I missed you!' He pouts.

'I saw you a few hours ago!' I chuckle.

'Yeah well, we haven't cuddled to sleep for two nights in a row and I missed that.'

'Well, good thing we're Wednesday!' I shrug pouring some coffee for both of us.

'Yeah. I guess.' He hugs me from behind.

I turn in his arms and give him a long tight hug. 

'You're not reconsidering our arrangement are you?'

'No! Not at all! I wasn't complaining. I was just saying I missed you. Don't read too much into it.'

'Oh okay.' I smile and kiss him. 'What are the plans for today?'

'Don't know yet. don't feel like doing much.'

'I thought you said you were gonna be "Fucking Shredded" when the lockdown ends? Giving up on working out already?' I laugh.

'No, I'm not. I'm just... I don't know. I don't always wake up that motivated. Plus I'm a little more into a writing mood right now.'

'I wonder why!' I tease.

'Oh don't credit yourself too much. My being in love with you is only part of my inspiration!'

'Lucky me!' I roll my eyes and then we laugh.

'Oh, you know what?' He says after checking his phone for updates. 'Can you help me out? Since you're a baker. Well kinda.'

'Sure, what do you want?'

'So there's a challenge going on between my friends, they're baking Masters themed cake. And I thought we could do one together.'

'Oh, so you want me to bake the cake and you take credit for it and beat your friends? No, I don't think so. You're gonna bake the cake and I will watch and I will laugh and then I'll eat the whole damn thing.'

'You're mean!'

'And you're taking advantage of my skills!' I argue jokingly.

'Okay, how about, I do everything but you guide me.'

'Fine!'

We spend the next few hours in the kitchen. baking the cake part is the easiest. Mixing the ingredients and putting the whole thing in the oven and wait for it to be ready is easy. But things start to go sideways with the rest. First, he got stressed when I told him he needs to cut the cake in two layers to put the filling inside. Which is fair since we don't have the appropriate tools and cutting it with a knife can't guarantee an even result. Then, I cringed the whole way through watching him put the cream on the bottom layer because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and the cream wasn't evenly spread and didn't even reach the edges of the square cake. And don't even get me started on the bits of fruits or that he wanted to add a bit of jam to "add some colours to it".  But the icing on the cake, metaphorically and literally, has to be the best moment.

'Can you stop laughing, please! It's my first time baking!' Niall complains.

'I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Won't laugh anymore. It's totally normal that the cake is crooked.'

I watch silently as he finishes the icing and cutting it to form the image he wants to. He puts the big green bit over the whole cake and cuts the leftovers from the sides. I shake my head and let him be.