『 C H A P T E R 2 : PROMISE 』

Promises, hopes, and plans... Worked well when combined together...

- - -

Year 845/ Ireen's age: 11; Eren's age: 10
A day before Wall Maria falls...

"Ireen... Are you listening to me?" The teal eyed kid whined being ignored by the girl in front.

Ireen is a girl 3 inches taller than Eren, owning a pair of green orbs with a hint of turquoise-glow under the shine of the light and shoulder-length dark brown hair that had strands of dark red weaving in between. Eren had once asked whether she is a brunette or red-haired, since under the light the red colored will be more prominent but dark brown took ever when it's dark and she shrugged her shoulder as she didn't have the answer.

She was facing him away, giving her back instead while busy stirring whatever she was cooking at the moment, and her hair was let loose to frame her face. The sound of her chopping something was heard, followed by the gurgling of a liquid being boiled and splashed lightly when she dropped them into the pot.

"Ireen.... I didn't even bring Mikasa today. Come on... I beg you... Come over...." He continued talking.

Sighing, Ireen replied. "Of course you didn't bring Mikasa along. I told you didn't I? Only you can step foot in my house. No one else should..."

"And I still don't get it why so..."

.....

"It's because I like you I don't mind letting you here.. But not anybody else.." She snorted.

"That again? Come on.. You should have come with a better excuse than that..." Eren easily waved off the reason and demanded for a real one.

And he still trying. "Come on Ireen. It will be just for a while. You know they are worried about you... And we can go meet Armin afterwards too. He has been talking about you lately".

Ireen didn't reply. She let the boy continued whining and persuading while she kept mute.

She focused on cooking, only to remove the pot from the stone stove and putting off the fire when she deemed herself done cooking. Next, she took out a container, and pour the still hot dish into it before closing it and then wrapping it in a cloth. Silence engulfed them two as Eren had stopped talking since the female wasn't replying to his plead.

Her footsteps lightly tapping the wooden floor as she moved here and there, and Eren was so busy staring at the floor, head thinking hard on how to persuade the girl. He only got knocked back to reality when Ireen pushed the container wrapped in the cloth against his cheek. The light warmth startled him a bit as he pondered in question.

"This is for you and your family. Thanks your mom on behalf of me for giving some of her cooking. I made some carrot soup for her in return. Take it to her," she shoved the subject again.

Eren didn't have a problem in accepting it, but he still frowned over it. "You know you can just say that yourself..."

Ireen quirked an eyebrow. "And leave the house right now? By the time I get back here it will be too late and dark."

"Who is sane enough to live here in the forest alone?"

"Correction. This house is only 10 feet away from the foot of the forest. It's not deep inside."

"But still... Even Mikasa accepted to stay with us. Why not you?"

.....

"Too much people in your house, Eren. I don't want to trouble your family."