『 C H A P T E R 9 : SACRIFICE 』

There's no change without sacrifice.

- - -

"Heed my command! Those who dessert us will all be pardoned!"

Ireen's ears perked up upon hearing those sweet words.

She turned her head slightly, averting her gaze away from the currently ongoing discussion between her, Armin, Mikasa and the superiors of Garrisons to look at the far much older male that currently stood at the edge of the wall with Eren by his side.

Dot Pixis.

She eyed him interestingly as the said man screaming plans and orders to recapture Trost District, though he still exhibited his leniency in allowing any soldiers to withdraw from the mission given that some of them were mentally scared from the thoughts of dying by titan's hands. Ireen was only able to see his bald head from her position, but she could guess the veteran had held his chin high with pure confidence painted on his face even though everyone here knew well that the success of this mission clearly depends on Eren Jaeger.

Ireen could tell, that the man is more than ready to sacrifice his men's lives for the mission, and lead them to a meaningless death if that means victory in their side.

"Those who've succumbed to the fear of titans are not fit for any battle! Those who've experienced their fear are free to leave!"

Those acknowledgement was a blessing to soldiers' ears. They don't have to hesitate anymore.

"And those of you who want your parents and loved ones to experience the same fear, shall leave too!"

It would've been a heaven to them if they could still proceed with their choice. But no.... They couldn't imagine living a day with their loved ones died a horrible death by the hands of the titans.

They have to fight, for the sake of their parents, children, families, and their loved ones.

Ireen exhaled in depress.

Protect the loved ones....

- - -

"Ireen, are you done checking?" Eren moved a step backward as Ireen pressed her body forward to the boy, grunt was her only reply. Her green-turqoise orbs stared deeply into his big teal orbs with unwavering emotion. Her fingers were holding Eren's eyelids opened as wide as possible as she checked around on any sign of exhaustion.

She finally let his eyelids go as she back off slightly before bringing her palm to his forehead. Eren rolled his eyes mockingly. How many times had she did this? Thrice... I think....

"A bit hot. You haven't fully recovered." She said in a matter of fact.

"Stop worrying. I'll be fine...." Eren gently grabbed her wrist and dropped it back to her side. Ireen gave an understanding nod though worry still flashed in her face.

"Eren, I'm sorry. At the end, I put the burden on you." Armin talked as soon as he saw Ireen gave up on her medical examination on Eren. Further delay from conversing might left him with no chance at all seeing how all the soldiers were ready to depart.

But Eren brushed him off easily. "I told you before, didn't I? You've the ability to sort out the best decision. I'll bet on you."

"Eren, I will---"

"Don't say you're coming with me." Eren firmly interrupted Mikasa. The female got shocked over his bluntness.

"You were assigned to the luring unit, right?"