『 C H A P T E R 5 : TRUST』

Trust is a strong word. Will you own it?

- - -

"Kanpai!!!"

"Finally, we did it! We graduated the class!!"

"Yes.. We can finally leave this place. I can't wait to move to my new squad."

The dining barrack was noisy with the cadets talking and celebrating. It wasn't much of a party, but the surrounding was good enough to lift up their moods after three years enduring pain and hardship.

"Well, since we didn't get to be the top 10, I guess we have to settle with Garrison Corps," the group continue chattering.

"It's fine, though. No one would be sane enough to join Survey Corps. They are suicidal," another one said.

"Only an idiot will choose it."

"Can't be helping. Those joining Survey Corps are said to have metal heart."

"Insensate person....to be frank..." Another one snorted.

"But I heard that there are just so many among us with such good potential this time round. Narrowing down to only 10 is quite a hard choice this year. They wished to pick more so Military Police Brigade can have more talented ones but then.... That would make the other two Corps to be lack in manpower," one of them shrugged. He blew off satisfying sigh as the bitterness of the alcohol slide down his throat.

Their talks were occasionally occurred between a sip or two of their drinks. Some preferred to indulge the night with beer and alcohol, while some just wanted tea.

One of them had their eyes diverted around before settled back to his friends. He put his chin on the back of his palm as the other hand twirled around his mug. "If we follow according to the rank, the top classman is Mikasa, second to her is Ireen, followed by Reiner, Bertoldt, Annie, Eren, Jean, Marco, Connie and lastly, Sasha. To be honest, the top five are already monsters, as if they are gifted or something. They are just simply way ahead of us, and the rest after are the hardworking ones which bear fruits at the end. I can see why the gap between us so wide."

"Lucky for them... They can be rest assured when joining the MPs. They don't have to worry about food and such. Nice beds, no risk of getting eaten by titans. That's swee--"

"But you can't possibly win!" Thomas high pitched voice interrupted their conversation out of sudden. Some of them choked on their drinks while some of them stared in wonder over the commotion. Most eyes currently trailed on Eren and his friends.

It made Thomas realized he had caught their attention in his little outbreak. Nevertheless, he still continued pouring out his thoughts.

"You know just how many have been eaten by them. We have lost more than 20 percent of the entire population already. Mankind... doesn't stand a chance against titans." Thomas spoke with a solemn face.

Those who had been listening reminiscing over the fact and saddened over the truth.

But Eren was not gonna keep shut up.

"So? You guys just gonna give up just because you can't win? It's true we have suffered defeats so far. Because we hardly know a thing about them! But the knowledge we gained about them worth every lives that have been sacrificed! Yet you will discard the tactical progress bought by them, just to serve yourself up on a silver platter??!"

He took a pause.

"You're kidding me! I'll kill every last one of them and break free of these walls!"