『C H A P T E R 7 : MEMORIES 』

People change....

- - -

Year 842 / Ireen's Age: 8
Inner of Wall Maria

The bustling noise of the town was a norm. She was after all, in the middle of the market square so people were flooding in to search for goods.

Ireen dragged her feet along the road, carefully avoiding from bumping the adults and kids that came from both ways. Her eyes scanned around in disinterest while her ears caught the shouts and screams of the merchants selling their goods and telling stories to their potential customers. She got too indulged with watching people in different antics, that she failed to notice the puddle ahead. 

She stepped on it, feeling the muddy liquid splashed to her legs and dirtied one of her shoes before she sighed in exasperation. She shook her leg to remove the dirt, when her nose suddenly caught a faint of the most delighted scent that she ever smell. As if seeing the invisible scent, she followed the trail lazily until she reached a bakery shop, much further at the end of the square, where a big-plump woman in mid forties greeted her kindly.

"Hey there, little girl. Want some freshly baked bread?" She smiled genuinely seeing the green orbs gleamed.

Ireen nodded as her mouth salivated over the sweet aroma. The sun was high up in the sky, which means it probably nearing noon by now. That explained why she was so hungry.

Money and the bread were exchanged between two hands, before Ireen thanked her and leave.

She had the bread. And her stomach was growling. Now she just needed a place to sit and eat. And she knew exactly where. The spot where she used to hang out alone in peace.

- - -

Ireen settled under a tree, shaded by the thick leaves from the sun ray. Her shoes was a bit to her left, where the sun ray could reach and dry them. Earlier, when she reached, she had took off her shoes and washed them and her legs from the muddy spot at the river nearby. Once done, she walked to a nearby tree with one hand carried the shoes while another her stuffs.

She felt contended with the ease, especially when no one else was around.

Ireen had always visited the town of Wall Maria, where she loved to hang out at one of the available field which rarely visited by anyone. The field was as large as her eyes could reach, and covered with nothing than the lush short grasses and small insects like butterflies and grasshoppers. Trees were randomly scattered here and there, which can act as a perfect place to hide from the stinging ray. And most importantly, a stream of small river ran along from one end to another, become the marines habitat.

This had always been her spot to hang out alone and draw. She liked to draw. She had carried along a sketch book, a wooden pencil, a small knife and an eraser. Often, when she was free of time, she will leave Shiganshina district and walked all the way to Wall Maria, then to the field. The journey alone took about 4 hours. So in order to reach the field by noon, she had to depart as early as possible in the morning, roughly around 7 in the morning. And then the first thing to do once reaching the inner gate was to get to the town market to buy lunch - if she didn't bring any food from her home - and only then heading to the field.

As per said, Ireen currently munching on her bread while her left hand held the pencil and started sketching. Today's topic would be horse. And she took the opportunity of a horse left tied to a tree nearby, grazing on the grass as her reference. Someone must have leave it there as they went to tend their own business.