PACT|TWENTY TWO

🦄

"IF YOU BELIEVE UNICORNS AREN'T REAL, GO JOIN HADES!"

mackenzie frustratedly packed the kids' lunch. "woah woah, what's wrong?" hayden asked, placing his coat on the rack. "you seem stiff. what's up?"

mackenzie put down the princess lunchbox, "why the fuck does this always happen!"

hayden understood, "johnny and emily. yeah."

"out of all the fucking places, they live here!" mackenzie started chopping the celery, almost chopping off her finger.

"woah-" he took the knife from mackenzie and placed it on the counter. he held mackenzie by her wait, slowing rubbing his thumb in circles to soothe her. "we don't know how, but what we do know is that they are the past."

mackenzie turned, out of hayden's grip. "they're not. our kids are related to them." mackenzie grabbed her keys, "i'm gonna go to target, grab somethings. i'll be home soon." she left, kissing hayden goodbye and getting into her car. she felt a kick, "ooh, wow you're strong." another, "ow, you're hurting mommy." another, more painful, "ow!"

"how could this happen? she's 5 months already?" hayden asked the doctor.

"late in term miscarriages are rare, but do happen." the doctor explained. mackenzie just sat in the hospital bed, emotionless after crying for 3 hours straight. then taken to surgery.

"what did i do wrong?" she said, her voice monotone as she spoke.

"you did nothing wrong. you're very healthy, did everything right. it just happens and we don't understand. i'll leave you two with some privacy." the doctor left, closing the door on the way out.

"baby it's ok." hayden said to mackenzie, to try to comfort her.

"no, no. this stress. i killed out baby." she cried. hayden tried to embrace her but she didn't want him to. it hurt him just as much as it did mackenzie.

ever since that day, the two just fell apart. it changed in an snap of their fingers. their love was no longer, it felt as if it died with their baby. "mommy? are you breaking up with daddy?" ivana asked, as mackenzie did her makeup.

the question startled her, "what? why would you think that?"

"you two keep fighting. you never did that before." mackenzie's heart broke when jordan said that.

"it's just stressful right now. don't worry, i still love your daddy." and that was true, but their spark was dead, "now if we ever separate, you wanna see him too?"

"yes, he's our daddy." and ivana was right. hayden legally adopted them last christmas so if their do separate, they'd get split custody. and mackenzie was fine with that. because hayden was their father and he deserved to see them if their split up. "ok, now go get your shoes on. mrs. samantha is taking you guys today."

"they're wondering mackenzie." hayden said, freshly out of the shower just as the kids left. "i am too. are we splitting up? do i need to find an apartment-"

"what! don't talk like that. we've had some fights, we're not in high school and gonna break up after having a silly fight." mackenzie said, then grabbed her purse, "bye, i gotta get to the bakery before they run out of blueberry doughnuts."

mackenzie got to the bakery, a few people in line already. "hey mackenzie, usual?" mr. lee asked, and mackenzie nodded.

"thank you lee." she gave him her card. it was the usual. 6 blueberry doughnuts, 3 chocolate glaze, and 3 cinnamon sugar. she got to her meeting at school. she set up, then the parents came in.

"babe, why do you have to leave?" emily begged, but johnny had to go. he's a nation geographic photographer, only able to come back for a week but then had to go.

"i'm sorry baby, but i already have another assignment." he kissed emily, "bye."

a/n hi