9◉ Stalker

The atmosphere in the intern cabin was filled with tension and excitement

The atmosphere in the intern cabin was filled with tension and excitement. The interns could barely contain their eagerness and not able to sit in their seats nor work. Alina got a tall cup of coffee and sat on her chair with a thud. She tugged on her shirt, stuffing it neatly into her pants. Then, her gaze caught Meera who was eyeing her with an eyebrow raised.

'This should be your nth cup since morning, isn't it?' She taunted. Alina gulped, nodding her head with a sigh.

'I thought you were, "confident", ha!' She let a small laugh. Alina frowned at her and shook her head. This woman was still bitter about the morning incident. She shot a glance at her before looking at the computer screen.

A few minutes later, the cabin door opened, and Banerjee barged in taking everyone by surprise. There was pin-drop silence upon seeing him. He smiled clenching a file tightly as he passed by the cubicles. Every intern stood up. Alina glanced back at the door and then back at Banerjee who had now taken the center stage.

'Sir, where is Haider sir?' Mikael asked the question that was on Alina's mind. She listened intently.

'Sir is in his cabin, but that is not the point.' – He adjusted his blue and red striped tie, - 'I am here to announce the winning intern.' He licked his lips and smiled. Alina straightened in her place. She could hear drum rolls ringing in her head and felt palpitated. Quickly, she wiped her palms on her pants and crossed her finger placing her arm behind her.

Banerjee gave a long dramatic pause eyeing everyone. All interns watched him with a battered breath. He gave a small nod, - 'Mr. Ramesh Sippy.' He announced. Alina's fingers parted, hand relaxed and her heartbeat returned to normal. She glanced across the room to find a young man beaming at everyone from the far-right corner. He stepped out of his cubicle with a wide grin. With a disappointment, Alina looked on as he shook hands with Banerjee and was gestured towards the exit.

▪⎯⎯⎯∞⎯⎯⎯▪

Meera wasn't much disappointed but Alina was bumped. She tried to cheer her up whilst their journey together in the auto. The girls were surprised to see a bouquet of flowers at their doorsteps, Alina got a little curious but Meera wasn't impressed. She was sure it was for Jessica.

'Loafer boys send such cheap gestures for her.' She commented as she unlocked the door. Alina found a note on it and gasped.

'It is for you!' She gushed and Meera froze. She turned around sharply and warned her. Alina kept smiling widely at her. Meera's eyes widened upon reading the note but she was frustrated because it had no name. Alina teased her, - 'Secret admirer, ooo.'

'Shut up, else I will punch you.' – Meera blasted her and angrily threw her handbag on the sofa. Alina kept on teasing her, ignoring the threats. She glided into the kitchen, Meera huffed and stared at the flowers. A slow smile appeared on her lips but quickly she fixed her expressions when Alina walked into the living room. She sat beside her and handed her a glass of water.