10◉ Day Out With a Colleague

Alina wasn't surprised when Meera made an excuse for not coming with her

Alina wasn't surprised when Meera made an excuse for not coming with her. Even though, she did not feel too good as she was awake almost all night yesterday and very much disturbed after seeing the stranger in a hoodie. She had gotten up from the little sleep that she had and drank a large cup of strong black coffee. Now, she was better.

With Meera opting out even Alina thought of backing out when she had not had her dose of caffeine, but Mikael was really expectant and enthusiastic. And she didn't have the heart to turn him down.

The auto stopped in front of a café and Alina stepped down. She paid him money and fished out sunglasses from her golden embroidered maroon clutch handbag. Alina opened the café door and sudden hustle and bustle of people and clicking clanking of cups and cutlery gushed into her ear. She removed her sunglasses and looked around. The café had wooden flooring with a chocolate brown colored pillar that too mimicked wood. There were few TV screens playing a music channel in very low volume. Alina looked around and within seconds spotted a man in pink and white thin checked slim fit shirt waving at her. His pearly whites on clear display that showed off his eagerness. Alina smiled tugging her sunglasses back into her purse. She pulled on her floral long shrug which covered the blue sleeveless top and beige dhoti pants. As she approached the table, Mikael stood up to greet her. She greeted him back with a warm friendly smile. They sat opposite each other. He passed her the menu and she thanked him.

Alina rested some of her hair on her shoulder and looked down at the menu. She placed her fingernail in between her teeth as her eyes scanned the menu. A few moments later, she looked up and noted Mikael was simply sitting and looking around.

'You decided your order, already?' Alina enquired and he nodded in response. She was surprised that he had been waiting for her since long. She hesitated to ask about his sister and dropped the idea. She looked down into the menu, then quickly lifted her gaze to look at him from over the Menu card.

They sat right next to the life-size glasses that overlooked the busy pavement and street. The afternoon sun shone over them. In sunlight, Mikael's brownish-black had more of brownish golden natural streaks than black. Alina noted he was a different type of handsome; she wondered if he was Anglo- Indian? His features were sharp with a slightly long nose, pinkish lips with perfect cupid bow and rosy pale complexation, and best of all his beautiful green eyes. Another reason how Alina spotted him was for his height, he was six feet for sure. Her gaze fell to his hands, he tapped one of his long fingers on his knuckles whilst looking at the street. Realizing, she was staring at him, like a pervert, for long Alina straightened, clearing her throat and announced that she has decided her order. Mikael smiled at her and nodded. Then, a waiter came, noted down their orders and left.

'Mikael, May I ask you something?' Alina hesitated. He gave a cheery response and she felt little encouraged.

'Are you from here? I mean—' she stopped speaking when he chuckled. He shook his head still having a smile plastered on his face.