12 ◉ Professional to Personal

'So, tell me, Miss

'So, tell me, Miss. Alina. How important is this internship to you?' Haider enquired. Alina looked confused for a moment and opened her mouth to speak when he spoke again, - 'Your design was particularly good. And the winning design was just a few points more than yours.' He informed. Alina smiled feeling relieved but a little disappointed.

'Sir—'

'Call me, Haider.' – His words stunned her. She shifted in place and gave a small nod.

Alina hesitated, - 'Hai—Haider.' – His heart skipped a beat, - 'this internship means a lot to me. You might think of me as money minded.' – she hesitated but felt a bit confident when Haider gave her a nod, - 'I am from a well do to family—'

'From Bangalore.' – Haider stunned her again. Alina's mouth snapped shut. She felt strange but then realized he must have gotten that from her portfolio.

'Yes, sir—I mean, Haider. My dad's an—'

'Accountant and your mom is a home-maker.' Haider said and this time she was totally taken off guard. She took a moment as she wondered how he knew that.

'Miss. Alina, sorry for the interruption. I won't disrupt you.' He encouraged her.

Alina nodded, - 'Actually, sir—Haider. I am ambitious and passionate about my work. But I also want to have a better future, monetarily. Through this internship, I would want to secure a better chance of getting work here, promotion, and change my condition.' She spoke confidently.

Haider nodded and leaned resting his arms on the table, - 'I am impressed by your honesty, Miss. Alina. Also, your passion for your work was clearly visible in your work.' He then picked up the landline phone placed next to him and pressed a number, - 'Mr. Banerjee, get two cups of tea. Mine as usual and for Miss. Alina, get a milk tea.' He said and placed the phone with a thud.

Alina was taken aback. He ordered for her and didn't bother asking her. He was indeed strange. Haider leaned in his chair and looked at her briefly, - 'Relax, Miss. Alina. I am not going to eat you.' He smiled. Alina blinked at him. But his smile did charm her. She had always seen a scowl on his face, but his smile was indeed mesmerizing. His smile lit his face. She smiled at him.

'You have a beautiful smile. Miss. Alina.' He complimented her. Alina was shocked to react and simply gaped at him. Haider stood up, pushing back his chair. He walked around the table and stood next to her. She stiffened in her seat. Her heartbeat started to go haywire. Her fingers shook as she nervously touched her thin golden danglers. Haider leaned against the chair next to her. Just one compliment and she began to palpitate both in nervousness and excitement.

'I hope you like to drink tea.' He said while staring intently at her. He had to be extra careful as he didn't want her to assume, he was harassing her. After all, he was her boss and she was an employee.

'I prefer coffee, sir—Haider.' She clicked her tongue as she kept messing up with sir and Haider. He gave a thoughtful nod, straightening in his place. How did he goof up here? He had always seen her sipping coffee, yet...