33◉ Abuser & Saviour

A man appeared from the room wearing a full-sleeved night robe, a cigar pipe in his hand, and a stern look on his face

A man appeared from the room wearing a full-sleeved night robe, a cigar pipe in his hand, and a stern look on his face. He smirked noticing color drain from Haider's face. His gaze fell to his clenched fists and quickly, he looked back into his stepson's eyes.

'Come inside, I need to have a word with you.' He said and walked back inside. Haider found it hard to swallow the lump in his throat, he kept staring at the spot his stepfather was standing seconds ago.

Uzma closed her eyes and calmed herself before looking at her son, - 'Son,' – she held his sleeve, - 'I think you should go.' She urged him. Haider found his legs heavy and could feel his feet rooted on spot.

Jahangir paced in his room with his arms behind him. He took a puff and continued walking. He paused as he heard footsteps. His thin lips curved into a smirk. Slowly, he turned around and looked at a pale and expressionless Haider. He gestured him inside. Haider silently walked in. Jahangir walked up to him. He clenched his fists and stiffened as his stepfather passed him. He shuddered slightly as the door creaked close behind him. There was an uncomfortable silence in the large room.

'So, Uzma told me that you are being a brat again.' – He walked up to him and held his shoulder. Haider felt a shiver run down his spine and he could feel cold sweat beads forming on his forehead. Jahangir stood in front of him. The two men were of almost the same height, with Haider being a little taller.

Jahangir folded his arms behind him, and eyed him from top to bottom, - 'You got engaged and didn't bother to inform your mother. Also, she had a complaint that you have been misbehaving with her. Is it right?' He asked in a deadly calm tone. Haider gulped hard and slowly nodded.

'Yes, I am engaged.' He stammered, blinking as tears pricked his eyes.

'You had always troubled your mother. That is why she wanted to get rid of you.' Jahangir sighed, shaking his head in disappointment.

'Tsk Tsk, Haider.' He walked up to his study table. Haider stood still while his gaze followed his stepdad. Jahangir calmly ran his fingers over a leather belt wounded on the table. Haider froze, sweat trickled down his forehead.

'Is it nice that you still be treated like a child?' – He looked at him, - 'Now, you are full-grown man, Haider. I can't lock you up in the basement.' – he raised and dropped his shoulders, - 'Come on, Haider, man!' He tried to sound weary but came out as amused.

There was silence between them again. Jahangir glanced at him as he picked up the belt and wounded it around his palm. Haider shuddered as he slapped the belt against the floor. His smirked widened.

'Tell me, Haider? What will it take for you to stop being rebellious? I gave you my business to run, this luxurious villa and the fancy lifestyle yet you are so ungrateful.' – He took slow steps towards him, Haider kept staring front, - 'Okay, you don't like me. You hate me. But your mother? You have no respect at all.' He held Haider's shoulder and he cowered taking a step away from his stepfather. Jahangir grabbed his arm and glared at him.