14◉ Gift and Suspicion

Haider took a step back, - 'Keys to your new scooter'

Haider took a step back, - 'Keys to your new scooter'. He said. Alina almost slipped from her chair. She stared at him with her eyes wide and mouth half-open.

'My what?' She managed to speak in a shocked, cracking voice. He shoved his hands into his pocket, keeping his lips tightly pressed in a grin. Alina was spared the embarrassment when a peon entered with the tray. Haider was pleased to know that this one was a new peon. His smile widened as he remembered firing the previous peon who was here last time with their order.

'I will have Banerjee show you your new scooter.' Haider announced. Alina shook her head to get back to reality.

'Haider, why are you giving me a scooter?' She blinked at him. He nodded and straightened. She stilled as he passed by her, running his long fingers over her chair.

'Because you don't have a car license.' – he leaned over his glass desk and placed his arm on his thigh, - 'else I would have gifted you a car.' He confessed.

Alina was taken aback; she opened her mouth, but words failed her. She simply watched him walk and sit in his seat. He picked up his cup and took a sip.

'You learned to ride a scooter by driving your father's scooter in your locality in Bangalore. Then,' – he took another sip, - 'you got your license.' He revealed and her mouth dropped an inch more.

She composed herself, - 'Do you have such interests on all your employees?' She managed to speak in a shaky voice.

Haider scoffed observing his fingernail, - 'Only the special ones.' He looked at her. Alina gulped looking into his eyes. Her heart skipped a beat. She took a moment, licked her lips, and pushed aside the keys.

'I am sorry, I can't take this. This—this doesn't make any sense.' She said, standing up. Haider stood up placing his hands into his pocket he walked towards her.

'It does.' – He took a step closer, - 'Miss. Alina.'- He paused taking another step. Alina stepped back and her legs hit the chair. She flopped on the chair. Haider picked up the white ceramic cup and forwarded it to her.

'Your coffee. Miss. Alina.' He said in a calm deadpan tone. As though in trance, she took the cup from him. Haider purposefully caressed her finger before retracting his hand. Alina felt an accurate current again and she almost dropped the cup.

Haider sat in his seat and took another sip, - 'It does make sense. I gifted you with this scooter as a reward for your good work. Compensation, as you were only a few points less than the winner.'

After he explained himself it made some sense. Alina thought for a while and then shook her head, - 'Still it's—'

'Shh!' Haider hissed and she instantly quietened. He leaned closer, - 'I don't need to explain anything further. I am the boss and I get to decide what makes sense and what does not.' – he sighed leaning back and unbuttoning his blazer, - 'Your scooter is outside.'- he picked up his phone and gestured Alina to drink her coffee. She nodded and quickly grabbed her cup. She watched him call Banerjee and speak to him.