31 ◉Haider is in Trouble

Haider removed his coat and handed it to his butler

Haider removed his coat and handed it to his butler. He wearily walked through the living room, which was, as always, dimly lit. He had just stepped on the first stair when a feminine voice called him. He stopped in his tracks. Suddenly, the lights of the chandelier brightened and brought the spotlight on the woman sitting on the sofa under it. But he doesn't turn around.

'What is this I am hearing, Haider? You got engaged?' – Uzma quizzed in a stern voice. Haider frowned clenching on the railing. He turned his head slightly.

'It is none of your—' He was interrupted when she held his arm and sharply pulled him down. She looked angrily at him.

'I am your mother and you didn't bother to consult with me?' She sounded outraged.

Haider pressed his lips, - 'Did you bother to ask me before you got married for the second time, Mrs. Zaidi?' – Uzma looked taken aback, - 'My engagement doesn't affect you in any way, but your marriage did affect me.' – he exhaled deeply, - 'I don't want to clarify anything further.' He replied coldly and then stormed upstairs leaving behind a hurt and confused mother.

▪⎯⎯⎯∞⎯⎯⎯▪

Alina spent almost the entire night, tossing and turning in bed. Occasionally, even getting up for loo or drinking water. Even the comfort of the squishy bed couldn't calm her anxious self. She was awakened by Farhana, who had brought a cup of coffee for her. Alina was very grateful as a doze of coffee would recharge her. And after gulping down the hot beverage she felt brightened and energized. She thanked Farhana as she passed the dress for the office. Alina smiled brightly, picked up the dress, and dashed into the bathroom.

After showering she got dressed in white Cami top and blazer paired with a beige pencil skirt. Quickly, she dried her hair and tied it in a loose high pony. She sat at the edge of the bed and wore her stiletto, then as she buckled her watch, Farhana informed her about the breakfast.

As she had toast, omelet, and juice, her phone rang. Alina paused munching on her food upon seeing her dad's name flash on the screen. She gulped her food and hesitantly picked up her phone.

'Hello, Dad!' She greeted trying to sound normal. She pressed her lips as her father began to scold her from the other side. She bit her thumbnail, listening to the reprimanding without utterly a word. But with each word of his, she felt guilt rising in the bottom of her guts and tightness in her chest. After her father finished reprimanding her, her mother stepped in and bombarded her with melodrama.

All Alina managed to say was apologize. She couldn't say that it was a bomb that Haider dropped on her and she was clueless just like them. After talking and calming down her parents, she kept the phone aside. She looked down at her plate, feeling bitter. Gently, she pushed aside the plate and stood up. Farhana nervously enquired if she didn't like the food. Alina smiled rising from her chair and picked up her hand purse from the dining table.