24 ◉Broken Friendships

Alina walked out of the domestic terminal at Delhi airport

Alina walked out of the domestic terminal at Delhi airport. She pulled her trolley to stop and tugged out her phone. She was about to book a cab when she heard a loud squeal calling out her name. Alarmed, she looked front. Meera and Mikael walked towards them. While Meera waved zealously at her Mikael kept smiling. Alina felt uneasy upon seeing him. Knowing his feelings for her and that she had accepted Haider's proposal made her feel awkward in his presence. Without looking away, she hurriedly pulled out her ring and stuffed it inside her orange handbag. Now, it wasn't the right time to reveal this. She must be sensitive to him, after all, Mikael was her friend.

Meera hugged her friend and enquired about her Chacha, - 'He is fine.' Alina replied in a weary tone.

'How are you?' Mikael asked politely. Alina avoided his gaze and nodded her head. She commented they needn't have come. Meera slapped her back, - 'Stop the melodrama.' She taunted. Mikael informed her that they had booked a rental cab. Alina was grateful to him. He insisted he took the trolley from her. She was tried to argue and so gave up. Meera hit her shoulder and grinned widely at her. Alina rolled her eyes in response and folded her arms.

That night, Alina avoided any conversation with Meera in the presence of being tried. She pretended to sleep until she slept.

The next morning, she was first to wake up. Quickly, she showered and changed into her office attire. She pulled up the belt of her turquoise knee-length bodycon, then adjusted the ruffles of her sleeveless dress. As she combed her hair, she realized she hadn't worn her ring. She glanced at her sleeping flatmates. After much debate, she decided not to tell them now. Haider might not want them to know this way. He must have a plan.

Meera groaned, rubbing her eyes and sitting on the bed. She blinked her eyes and gaped at Alina who sat at the edge of her bed. She was fully ready but was busy wearing her platform heels. She sighed standing up, adjusted the crease of her dress, and looked up.

'Oh, wake up! Meera.' She smiled at her friend. Meera glanced at the wall clock and leaped from the bed.

As Alina prepared breakfast for them, Meera showered and got busy getting ready. She emerged from the room, her curls wet, dripping water over her plus size floral dress. Alina passed her toast and she thanked her. Then, the two friends silently had their food. Meera wore flat sandals because she had a very decent height, she didn't need any heels. Alina envied her height while Meera envied Alina's body type. After the two friends walked out of the elevator, Meera looked for Ronnie commenting that he had been acting strange nowadays. And Alina suggested her to ignore him as they were getting late. Then, Alina drove them to work on her scooter.

Alina and Meera walked inside the building. They stopped in their tracks upon seeing Haider walking towards his cabin. He paused; his gaze fixated on Alina. She gulped and darted her eyes everywhere. He smiled and stepped inside his cabin. Meera held Alina's hand and her head shot up. She looked up and was relieved upon finding that Haider had disappeared.