23 ◉Proposal & Conflict

Alina and her parents came home along with Haider

Alina and her parents came home along with Haider. Asmat insisted she made snacks for him, but Haider surprised everyone by suggesting that he would make tea for everyone, - 'and coffee for you, Miss. Alina.'

Alina looked flushed and she shook her head, - 'I will have tea as well.' Haider smiled at her. Asmat profusely refused to let him make tea for them but he was adamant. Finally, upon Khalid's words, she gave up. Haider looked at Alina and began to unbutton sleeves of sky blue slim fit shirt, pulling up till his elbows. He winked at her and she gasped; red-faced.

Sometime later, Haider walked in carrying a tray of three cups. Alina leaped from the sofa's armrest and took the tray from him, - 'You made tea for us, Haider. You needn't serve us.' She said, gratefully. Haider doesn't argue.

'Yes, you are our guests.' Asmat added and glared at her daughter. Alina shrugged at her mother not knowing why she was being reprimanded.  Then, Asmat gasped wondering out loud- where was Haider's cup. He revealed he had made black tea for himself. Only then, Mrs. Hooda was relieved.

After half an hour of having snacks and tea, everyone seemed tired. Alina held her forehead, - 'My head is hurting.' She commented rubbing her temple. Haider straightened in his chair; a small smile crept on his lips.

Khalid sighed holding the armrest of the sofa, - 'I guess it's been hectic.' Asmat also complained of sleepiness. Mr. Hooda suggested them to rest. While Alina and her mother would stay in Alina's room. Khalid suggested he would rest on the sofa and Haider could take the master bedroom.

Haider refused, - 'I have some office work, so I am good here. Sir, you rest in your room.' He said politely. Khalid smiled at him and then glanced at Alina. He had a knowing glint in his eyes.

Soon, everyone left for their room. Haider relaxed as the doors closed. Five minutes later, he got up from the sofa and walked towards Alina's room. Cautiously, he opened the door and peeped inside. Alina and her mother were fast asleep. While watching them, Haider removed his shoes and stealthily walked in.

He kneeled beside Alina and watched her sleep peacefully. Hesitantly, he touched her cheek with his fingertip.

'I am sorry, love. I just want to spend some time with you.' He whispered gripping her hand in between his palms. Alina stirred in her sleep and slept on her back. Haider leaned against the bed still kneeling on one knee. Her mouth opened slightly as she took steady breaths.

He watched her sleep for a long time then got up and walked towards her cupboard. He rummaged through her cupboard looking for something that he could take with himself, a token till she comes into his life. As he searched, he found an album. It was photos of her as a child, teen to adulthood.

He picked out few college photos and hurriedly stuffed them in his trouser pocket. Then, he searched more and took out her scarf. He brought to his nose and inhaled sharply. Her perfume and fragrance of her body still lingered on the fabric. He grinned at it and glanced back at her as he carefully closed the cupboard door.