20 ◉Sitting on Pins & Needles

Alina stood at the balcony, with her palms wrapped around a warm cup of coffee

Alina stood at the balcony, with her palms wrapped around a warm cup of coffee. Her mind still contemplating the whole incident that passed. She hasn't shared it with anyone, Meera nor her parents who had just called her. She sighed leaning against the railing and took a sip. Just then, her phone rang, in the background, Jessica groaned and Meera cussed while in their sleep. She hurried and grabbed the phone. She frowned noticing it was an unknown number, then she glanced at the wall-clock. It was mid-night. She debated if she should pick the call, just then the call disconnected. Alina bit her lip. A second later, her phone beeped with a message.

'Hey! Miss. Alina.'

Alina's eyes widened. She flinched when the phone rang again. It was the same number who had texted her. She kept staring at the phone screen until the back of her head was hit by a flying pillow.

'Alina.' Meera whined. She shook her head and answered the call.

'Haider?' She whispered.

'Were you thinking of me. Miss. Alina?'

She could feel him smile on the other side. Quickly, she gulped, - 'How did you get my number?'

'That is irrelevant. Miss. Alina.' – he paused, - 'I called to ask you. What have you decided? Are you giving a humble man like me a chance to be in your life? It will be my good fortune.'

Alina blushed, biting on her thumbnail. She felt herself shake with excitement and anxiety.

'Don't you think it's too fast to make a decision.' She confessed genuinely.

Haider scoffed, - 'I am a businessman. I am used to taking quick decisions.'

'Not in a relationship.' – Alina smirked leaning her arm against the railing.

'Are you taunting me for my failed relationships?'

Alina's smirk disappeared instantly, she straightened and profusely apologized. She relaxed only when Haider laughed.

'You needn't apologize to me, Miss. Alina. And, I will make sure you don't have to apologize to anyone.' His voice sounded genuine. The tone sent shivers in Alina. She ruffled her hair and pushed it behind her ear.

'Haider. I will let you know my decision soon. Just give me some time and space.' She admitted. Haider hummed in response. There was silence.

'Hello!'

'Good night. Miss. Alina.' Haider responded and cut the call. Alina blinked and brought the phone in front of her face. She wondered if she offended him. A moment later, she saved his number, her thumb hovered over his name.

Haider sat next to the fireplace recollecting time spend with Alina as he continued fidgeting with his phone. He kept shifting, taking puffs of a cigarette. Sometime later, agitatedly he smudged the cigarette butt in the ashtray. He checked his phone and got up. Tossing the phone on his bed, he walked into the balcony. He was irritated because Alina was taking too much to accept him. He was anxious and even the sleeping pills weren't getting him to sleep. He wasn't understanding why Alina was taking so much time to decide.