32 ◉ To Win Her

Alina was elated that she would be having lunch with her friends; after so long

Alina was elated that she would be having lunch with her friends; after so long. She was moved by Meera's concerns, even though she didn't say anything her friend guessed something was wrong. At lunchtime, the trio made their way towards the cafeteria but they were stopped by Banerjee. He, very formally, informed them that Haider wanted Alina to have lunch with him in his cabin.

'What?' Meera whined but Mikael held her hand and shook his head at her. Meera pouted angrily. Alina's smile dropped and shoulders slumped for a moment, but she maintained her composure and flashed a smile at her friends. Politely, she asked them to carry on.

Haider sat on the black leather sofa, the table in front of him was laid with food. He sighed shrugging off his dusky pink blazer, tossing it to one side, unbuttoned, and pulled up the sleeves of his white slim fit shirt up to his elbows. Then, casually leaned against the plush sofa with one leg over the other, his arms resting on the armrest. A minute later, he checked his watch, adjusting the wavy strands of hair that rested across his forehead and just then, Alina opened the door. He paused and his head shot up. A slow smile brightened his face.

'Welcome, my love.' He walked towards her one arm held out. She smiled a little at him as he held her waist. He frowned tilting his head and observing her. He held her chin and raised her face, - 'What happened, Miss. Alina.' He enquired with concern.

Alina exhaled deeply and turned to face him. She clenched her fingers and expressed her desire to eat with her friends in the cafeteria. Haider's expressions changed and she gulped slowly. Before she could do any damage control, he called for Banerjee. Alina panicked and began stammering to form a sentence.

'Pack all the food.' – Haider said sternly, - 'Today,' – slowly he wrapped his arm around her waist again, - 'I will be eating with my fiancé and her friends in the cafeteria.' He announced. Banerjee gaped at him and Alina's mouth dropped open as well. She blinked at him. He smiled looking at his girlfriend.

'Anything for you, my love.' He answered and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. Alina inhaled sharply and looked up at him, at his smiling face. She smiled hesitantly, at first and then her smile grew confident.

She was pleasantly surprised and could feel excitement build up in her chest with a steady rising of her heartbeat. Alina glanced at Haider, who walked confidently with her, holding onto her hand with possessiveness and tinge of protectiveness. As though, silently telling everyone that he and she were serious about each other, so others can back off. All the employees there were stunned eyeing their boss stroll into the cafeteria. This was the time Haider was here, but he wasn't awkward because he was here for Alina. He knew he wouldn't be able to get too far being hostile with her friends, he needs to befriend them to win her. And when he has completely won her—at the thought his lips curved into a small smile.

Meera gaped at the couple while Mikael had a neutral expression.

'Hey!' Haider greeted them as he pulled a chair for himself. Alina was all smiles at her friends and glanced dreamily at Haider. He looked clueless and asked for Meera's suggestions. She greedily licked her lips and suggested the chicken burger and cheese pasta with a soft drink. Alina was little concerned because Haider was health-conscious. But he surprised her once again by deciding to get cheese pasta and a soft drink. He gently smacked his thigh and sighed,