The Flame to the Fire

Park Young-Sil and the council sat around the table. The stuffiness in the room hung in the air as the members kept waiting. Except, they did not know what for.

"Master Young-Sil what exactly did you call us for?"

The chirping of crickets outside the villa grew to a deafening volume as everyone awkwardly waited for an answer.

"We are aware that the princess has gained much power." He slowly stroked his beard as his members hesitantly look around.

"The queen hates her almost as much as we do. With this, we can take over the kingdom for ourselves. After all, we have a cowardly king, a princess made of stone, and a warrior that will fall"

Each person was in shock at his plan. Surely, with the comfortable positions and the bone-rank system, they would have lived well. Why risk more and suffer?

"If any of you think of backing out, I do not plan to let you off easy"

A soft knocking broke the silence. Park Young-sil shifted in his seat and sat up straight.

"It seems that our visitor has arrived. And she's not alone."

~

"Your majesty, you have a guest"

The queen weakly nodded towards the servant as she sat in front of her resting chambers. She shakily brought the tea cup to her lips, swallowing the bitter taste with no emotion on her face.

"You've done too much for yourself." A-ro's father whispered as he examined the room.

"Why are you here" The queen sat in shock and continued with her words hesitantly. "Have you come back for me? The one you should have loved?"

"It is bold of you to assume that I still love you. After all you have done, I find it hard to see you in a positive light"

"Even if you do not love me still. I am still your queen"

"You are no queen, you are a monster"

"Who sent you here! To come in and slander me like this!

She stood up abruptly and threw the teapot at his head.

"This is still my kingdom. I still have power. I am not weak and I will make sure your daughter does not have it easy so long as she is here"

~

Jihyun had approximately two hours before the meeting. Walking down the long hallways in the humid summer night, she hadn't heard the footsteps following her. Sitting down by the pond, she watched three little ducks snuggle next to their mother. Oh, how she wished that was what her childhood was like. Unfortunately, she had been ripped away as a sacrifice. Speaking of which, weren't there four ducks earlier?

"What happened earlier Jihyun?"

Surprised by the sudden voice, she grabbed her dagger out and put the person in a chokehold.

"Ow, ow, ow, ow"

"Hansung! What are you doing here so late?"

"I'm returning Yeontan to his mom!"

"Yeon...tan..?"

"He's my little duck friend! Well, he is more of a pet"

"You kidnapped a duck?"

"Well, he waddled over to me. And I couldn't resist petting him. Then he snuck into my pocket and started eating the crackers I took from the kitchen. Thus we built a friendship like no other!"

"You do realize he...is still a duck?"

"But he's a duck... with a name. He's special. And he's kind of like me~"

Jihyun simply laughed and put her head on his shoulder. Hansung put the little duck down and they watched the duckling waddle back to its mother.

"You really need to take a break Jihyun"

"What do you mean?"

"You do so much for everyone, but what about yourself? What am I going to do if something happens to you?"

Jihyun turned to face Hansung and hugged his torso.

"I promise I will be by your side forever"

"Pinky promise?"

"Yeah, pinky promise"

Hansung leaned over and kissed the top of her head.

"Can I come with you then? Please?"

~

Jihyun walked back with Hansung towards the Hwarang chambers. There, Jinheung and Moomyung were waiting on the steps. Banryu was pacing in front of them.

"What am I going to do? If my adoptive father finds out about this, I'll be kicked out." Banryu panicked as he walked back and forth.

"Ya, stop drawing a line in the sand" Soo ho butted into his panicked rant.

"Easy for you to say"

"Well then what's the worst that can happen"

"I can't be with the person I love"

"Well boohoo, I can't be with the queen so we both are stuck in a predicament aren't we"

"Well I'm in love with your sister, not a queen"

Both of them stopped fighting immediately.

"You like my sister?"

"Well she grabbed my butt earlier"

"WHAT"

The two started wrestling on the ground, but not for long as the couple approaches them.

"Eh? Why are you two fighting again?" Jihyun asked sternly, pulling the two apart easily.

"Banryu is going to take my sister away!"

"Sooho is in love with the queen!"

Yeowol came over with his silk fan.

"How love can start such drama! I'm simply too beautiful for the ladies"

With that, everyone burst out laughing and completely forgot about the fight that had happened moments previously. Actually, quite the opposite.

"You're in love with my mom?" Jinheung joined the conversation and Sooho bashfully turned away. The dirt suddenly became an interesting scenery for him.

"It's not that weird"

"It kind of is...." Hansung poked Sooho's dirt covered cheeks, prompting him to slap them away.

Sighing, Jihyun looked at the moon in the sky.

"I have to go now"

"Where to now little sister?"

"You know where" Jihyun rolled her eyes.

"I get to come!" Hansung excitedly raised his hand and stuck his tongue out at Jinheung

"Wait, you let Hansung go but not us?" Yeowol dramatically feigned betrayal.

"You'll always have us...", Jinheung gently tipped her head upwards to face all of them, "no matter how hard it gets"

"This is the start of a new era" Jihyun looked at all of them. And together, they set off towards the palace entrance under the full moon's light.

___

Lookie I am back, after almost finishing high school. The author here has matured and her writing style is getting a bit better. I have been going through a lot these couple of years. I have been dealing with mental health, a busy schedule, and college applications (which are a total pain). I will also be starting new fanfic now that college acceptances have come back.