Chapter 17

The officer stood straight and looked at me, scanning me up and down with a gaze that made me want to cover myself with a shawl and at the same time flare my anger. I glared at him, my teeth grinding at his perverted gaze.

" And who are you to the boy, certainly not his sister," he asked with cold confidence as he smirked at me, gaze still lingering on my curves.

Any minute now Skye would step forward and punch him to his grave if he didn't keep his eyes to himself.

But I can't let him make a scene here, I have already attracted enough attention.

" He is my boyfriend's brother and officer or not I will file a case against you for verbally and physically abusing a child," I spoke with barely contained anger as I balled my fists to prevent any daggers springing unannounced.

" So I suggest that you leave him this instant" I commanded, sounding like the Ariella Perez, like the fearless girl.

His smirk twisted into a sneer at my words and he tightened his grip on the boy. He cried out in pain and my gaze hardened.

" I said leave him" I spoke in a frighteningly quiet voice, my colors tingling at my fingertips.

He narrowed his eyes further and pushed the boy to me. He fell on his hands and knees and I rushed forward to pick him up.

I took hold of the boy's hand and glared at the man one last time before guiding the boy with me, giving the appearance that I was actually his brother's girlfriend.

I could still feel his eyes on me. I don't want him to see Skye so when I saw the neon board of an ice- cream shop I took the boy there with me.

I pushed opened the door and stepped inside with the kid, letting it close behind us. Only when I was behind the safety of the door did I release a breath.

I might have just blown up our plan.

It was then that I realized that the boy was not just holding my hand but hugging my arm close to his chest. I took him to the nearest chair and seated him there, bending on down to inspect him for any signs of injury.

None were visible, thankfully he was in jeans so the fall didn't give him any scratches. The same couldn't be said for where the officer held him in a death grip. His right arm was red with hand marks.

" Hey little guy are you ok," I asked him softly as I took his hand in mine and raised his chin with the other. Tears stained his face and a pair of blue eyes blinked back at me.

He nodded whipping his tears with his small hands.

" What is your name?" I asked him with a small reassuring smile.

" Mick, and yours" he sniffed after each word and I chucked at his cuteness.

" Well my name is Ariel" I could feel my legs cramping so I stood up and took the chair across the small round table.

" So Mick where is your mom" I questioned him tenderly.

" I-, we were going to come here, but I ran before her, an- and then I couldn't find her " I nodded my head in understanding.

Skye is waiting outside for me but I can't leave Mick alone. And if his mother is going to come here then I should wait a few minutes longer.

I looked around the ice-cream shop, the ice-cream display looked a bit too tempting, then I looked back at Mick, he wouldn't mind a little ice-cream himself. It may lift his mood, though I can already tell that he is relaxed.