Chapter 23

Skye was waiting in my room when I got back, he had his head in his hands when I had entered the room.

He straightened up immediately when he saw me enter. His hairs were messed, standing in weird directions as if he had ran his hand over his face repeatedly.

The air in the room felt heavy, weighed down by his failure.

I didn't need him to tell me anything. It was written all over in his drooping shoulders and in his rumbled appearance.

I dropped the bags near the door and sat beside him.

I placed my head on his shoulder and took a breath, preparing to speak.

" Did you find anything?" I had to ask him, even when I knew the answer.

Skye exhaled a forced breath," No, they didn't let me" he replied in a defeated voice.

" Who," I asked, I wanted to know.

Skye is a trainer, given that he is still in the internship but a trainer none the less and trainers are well respected.

The fact that someone didn't let him get information is strange. We agreed on the plan because we were confident that he will be able to get the information out of the school teachers.

" I wasn't allowed to go inside the school Ariel"

I removed my head from his shoulder and faced him," why, you are a trainer"

" I don't know, there were guards everywhere and they just didn't let me enter no matter what I said" he tried to explain.

The officers, again.

" Don't worry, we will find a way" I said, patting his shoulder in comfort.

" Ariel you-"

" I do, I know Skye" I cut him off before he could voice what I dreaded.

There might not be another like Ash.

He might be the only one. Just like I am.

And I won't be able to hold him in my arms much longer.

Moisture gathered at the rim of my eyes but I composed myself.

I am not a damsel in distress, I can find another way.

" Ok we will come up with something tomorrow" Skye sighed.

Not today tomorrow, because the school was our best shot. We don't know anyone here but we were positive that Skye's connection will get us what we needed.

He pushed himself from my bed, approaching the door with heavy steps and exited. Leaving me to myself.

Instead of slumping on the bed like I wanted to, I went for the bathroom. I twisted the handle and pulled the door open.

Zane stood before me, holding his door as he was about to step in. I stepped back and slowly started closing the door.

" Wait, the bathroom is free" I pushed the door aside at his words. He searched my face, looking for something but I am sure he couldn't find anything on my blank face devoid of emotion.

" I was leaving" he continued scanning my eyes. I simply nodded at him and stepped inside the tiled bathroom.

He closed the door behind him and I bolted both the doors.

I started by shedding my sweat-soaked shirt.

My limbs felt too heavy, each movement was lethargic. It took me time, peeling off layers of clothes. I tried to envision peeling off the layers of disappointment with them.

I took baby steps towards the shower, the bathroom tiles cool under my feet.

Stepping under the shower I clasped my hand around the old style shower nob and twisted it slowly.

Each movement dragged to lend me time to think.

The water pours down, it drips by my side, as my mind fades into dullness and everything is a foggy illusion. The sensation of the cool water calms me; it takes my mind off things.

Water rained on me, cascading down my body, washing away. I held onto the nob, leaning my body on it. Water soaked into my hair, creating a curtain of liquid silver on either side of my face.

The guards didn't let Skye in.

The officers carry a real gun.

An officer physically abused a child.

The tight security at the train station.

Officers smoking in the alley.

′ Why do they keep sending them here, this town is overflowing with mutts ′

There is someone coming today, someone of importance.

Important to me, an annoyance to them.

I need to get in the station.

I tightened my grip on the nob and pushed away from it. Water raced down my face and I blinked.

That might be our only opportunity to get anything out of Urydale.

My hairs framed my face as they stuck to me, getting washed in the flow of water.

I will go tonight and I will go alone.

Electric blue started to grow from beneath my feet, curling around my leg as it moved up in graceful swirls.

Wine red extended from my hand, travelling back to my arm.

I imagined, delicate purple flowers blooming on my neck, spreading, covering my breast in glowing flowers, growing down to my ribs, spreading vines on my stomach.

I ran my fingers over my thigh and brought them back to my face.

An electric, energetic blue was smeared on my fingers, my colour.

I rubbed my fingers together as the memories returned.

I was eleven, standing in the living room with my lips stretched in a smile, a proud smile.

" Mom look what I made"

She entered the room with her coffee in hand and a small smile playing on her lips.

The mug slipped from her hands and crashed on the floor, staining the carpet a deep brown as a horrified look crossed her face.

" What are you doing Ariel" she ran to me and I dropped my hand along with my smile.

I looked at the majestic beast beside me. Long purple mane, sharp eyes, and a lean body. Its purple tail swinging on the carpet as it stood beside me.

The lion looked regal, real.

" Make it go Ariel" mom scolded with a terrified tonne, her voice rising in octaves as well as lowering in volume.

I waved my hand and let it fade before my eyes.

I looked back at her as my eyes welled up.

Mom pulled me in her arms as few tears slipped from my eyes.

" Its alright Ariel, I know it is difficult. But suppress it baby, we can't let anyone see."

It was painful, containing my colours when all I wanted to do was unleash them, to show them off proudly.

But I couldn't. I still can't.

I stood under the water and let it wash away everything. I let it take away everything stuffed in my mind till it drained down with the water.

Leaving behind just my determination, my motivation, and my focus.

I am going to that station tonight, I want some answers, I want them now.