Chapter 62

Getting into the train and occupying the last coach was the easier part, the pathways clear thanks to Carson and his group. The compartments were divided in two seats facing each other with a foldable table between, just like the last time we were here.

I stood immobile in closer to the closed gate, the subtle vibration of the engine under my feet was soothing in a strange way. And as the silence settled our compartment nightmarish thoughts raised their ugly heads. My clothes felt itchy, nauseating and suffocating. I wanted to shed them off and stand under cold water, anything to get the dirt off me. Or maybe I just wanted to shed my skin and don something that is not tainted. I clenched my fists tightly, stamping crescent cuts in my palm as the memories tried to choke me again.

I am not in this train to stand in a corner and wallow in my own injuries, I am here to guide them, take them to their enemy so that they can tear him apart. I am on a mission.

I took a deep breath and turned around, everyone was scattered around in different seats, Either fiddling with their uniforms or just taking a moment to think about what had happened. Carson was taking off his shirt to shrug the uniform on.

"Put the uniform over your clothes," I said, my voice drew everyone's attention and I continued, "just in case we need to discard them."

"They both nodded with a grimace, putting on pants over your jeans is not necessarily comfortable.

"Oh thank god, I was already gonna do that," Yasmin muttered from her seat beside where I was standing. I turned to her as she stood up and unfolded her jacket. My eyes snapped to the tear on her blue shirt and the dark area around it, I grabbed her hand to stop her, "we need to cover that first, your cut can get infected," I said and she nodded in reply. I let go of her hand and started walking. As far as I know, they keep a first aid somewhere in the counter placed at the end of the coach near the sliding door. I moved towards it while glancing at everyone, even though Oreana had sent some new people but at least five of us were still injured from the fight earlier. I passed the seat Zane was sitting in, at the very last with a large glass window that gave the morning view. He was looking out, his hands lying on the table and eyes soaking the outside view.

I grabbed the first- aid from behind the counter and made my way back to Yasmin. I took the seat in front of her and removed the table from between us. I did her dressing, a cut on her shoulder and one on her ribcage. I moved to the next one after Yasmin whispered a shy thankyou.

"May I?" I took the seat in front of Beckett and nodded at him to show me his wounds.

"I have one here and one at the back of my leg," Beckett brought his arm forward and laid it to the table. I assessed the wound and started picking out supplies to clean and cover the three-inch cut.

"How come all the officers just went unconscious?" I asked him curiously, keeping my eyes on bandaging his wound.

"Because of this," he pushed his hand in his pocket and pulled out a small dart with a yellow liquid sloshing in the centre with a red feather at the end. I raised my eyes to him in a question, "tranquillizers?"

I took the dart from his hand when he nodded, studying the metal body with a sharp capped tip.

"Oreana had them made for-, for the grand plan I guess. We stole them from the medical supplies from the hospital." I raised an eyebrow at him, really? From medical supplies?

He studied my look and sighed, "they give us the bare minimum. The medical facilities. We used to steal medicines too, distribute it among the people who need them." he trailed off, breaking his sentence as he looked out of the window, at the trees passing by with the sun climbing up in the sky. Regret pinched at me, I never really knew what it is like to scrounge for the most basic needs.