Chapter 60

I sat down beside Skye, he was still on his knees, face contorted in pain.

"Lie down Skye," Marina rushed towards us and we supported Skye till he was lying on his back.

Marina took out a small pocket knife and tore Skye's shirt from the collar to the centre. She pulled the cloth and gently removed the soaked cloth covering the wound.

I held back a sob at the sight of the wound. The bullet has pierced the skin, turning up the flesh. The wound was three inches from the shoulder and 1 inch from the armpit. My hands shook and tears blurred my vision, threatening to fall.

Marina inspected the wound, flashing a small torch to get a better look, the crimson flesh glowed neon under the light, I sucked in a breath as something caught my eyes. Marina moved the flashlight and it shone again, a faint glint. I placed my hand over her's and guided the torch.

Marina found the same thing and looked deeply. I sucked a shaky breath while I waited for her to finish her inspection. Marina is a nurse at the hospital under her father's tutelage, she doesn't have a college degree but still she works in the hospital.

She sighed, moving the torch away and I straightened up, seeking the answer in her eyes. Desperate tears were rolling down my cheeks, I don't want anything to happen to Skye. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

"The wound is shallow, the shi- shield created some sort of barrier that decreased its velocity. It is barely an inch deep," she said, "but I can't remove the bullet here, I will need to take him to the hospital."

My mouth open and closed like a fish, I was barely able to process anything.

"Wha-, what does that mean?" I mumbled, my voice sounding small, like a mouse.

"It means that nothing major is injured, the bullet it at the surface and he is not in danger," she ended and pushed herself off the floor and walked to others.

I took in a deep breath, but the tears still escaped my eyes like an unclosed tap. I stared ahead, at nothing in particular with my blurred vision.

Skye almost died today, because I couldn't bear the mistreatment, because I acted recklessly and provoked the officers.

'They have a gun against their head Ariel.'

Kai's voice rang in my ear as if he was standing just behind me, whispering this into my ear. A hand encased mine lying on my lap. I looked down and Skye's hand was wrapped around mine, he squeezed my hand and I moved my gaze to his.

I don't say anything, he can understand. He doesn't say anything, because he knows I can understand. We sat in a minute of silence, my weeping eyes and a sad smile curving his lips.

"I-, I thought that I-," I spoke, my voice thick and low with overwhelming emotions. He gave my hand another squeeze, warming up my cold hands that slowly lost its tremors.

"I was shot in the right shoulder, you should have used a little brain before crying so much," he said with a forced chuckle, his smile isn't fooling me. I can see the tension behind his eyes.

I dropped my gaze, lowering my eyes to avoid seeing the disappointment in his. "They- they know, everyone saw," I whispered, pulling my hand back from his.

Skye didn't say anything, because this time he had no words. The silence stretched on as I waited for his reproach, for him to yell at my foolishness but he said nothing. I moved my eyes to search his face and found an unreadable expression that I couldn't make out.