Chapter 58

Sorin's POV

I tore my eyes from Oreana's body that was quaking on the ground, like an insect whose wings just got broken. Break the leader and the rest of the rebels will sit back squirming on the floor.

I scanned around the filthy hall, turning my nose at the graffiti covering the walls and the old ramps. What a distasteful representation of art, I sighed before turning away. I willed and my colour drew forth, like ropes, knitting together a chair of tyrian purple, a shade few steps away from the colour of blood.

I sat back on the chair, resting my leg over the other, I swiped my eyes across the row of 20 rebels kneeling on the ground before fixing on a small girl. Mason was holding her back, a gun at her head and tears rolling down her blotchy face.

"Ariel," I bellowed with a smile at her, and of course I recognized her silver hair. Her glare shifted to me, red-lined eyes shooting daggers. I chuckled, a spitfire, she was glaring at me in Clauferry, she is glaring at me now. I was smirking then, I am smirking now.

"And look what I found," one of my men, Austin perhaps, was holding a boy by his scuff, dragging him forward while he clawed uselessly. I watched silently, noticing a tablet in the Austin's hand.

A silence fell over the hall, none of the rebels were yelling curses at us, they were not struggling to fight. Their eyes were focused on the cocoa coloured boy who was grunting and clutching his throat, faces pale in horror. Austin threw the boy forward and he slid across the floor to stop in front of my feet.

Austin extended the tablet to me, I took it from his hand. Documents were open on the tablet, official government documents. Or at least the faux documents we were manipulating to cover the presence of the colourless among us.

I twisted the fingers of my left hand, knitting something for this boy here. Thick chains crept towards him, curling around his legs binding them together. And the boy obviously struggled, scratching and clawing the colour around him, my colour. How dare he touch my colour with his cursed hands.

I folded my hand in a claw, drawing my fingers closer and the chains got tighter, wrapping around him all the way to his chest, a chain snapped out to clutch is flapping hands.

These filthy colourless, they are an infection upon our country. I should have killed them long ago, buried them with their disease. I have contained them, but they are still spreading. Seven new cases this year, all young children belonging to different social backgrounds. Colourlessness is spreading, I don't know how but it has to do with them.

"What are you doing, you will suffocate him," I snapped back into attention at those words. I haven't even realised that chains have reached till his neck, they have grown tighter and thicker, wrapping him in a cocoon of tyrian purple. I loosened my hand from the fist, the chains remained there, the only difference was that the vermilion wasn't gasping for air anymore.

I looked up, I am not afraid of these colourless, they don't possess a colour, they are useless even if they grow to thousands in number. But that is my fear, thousands of colourless. That will infect our country, bring down our defences and leave it vulnerable to attack from the neighbouring countries. Our country is rich in resources, we have Xile cutting right through the centre and that makes it a feast to anyone who decides to attack us. And I can't let that happen.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" my question must have come as a sudden surprise because Ariel creased her eyebrows.

"Did you find what you came to Urydale for?" I asked her again, in the same serene voice. No answer. I absolutely despise one-sided conversations. But it is my responsibility to make her realise her mistake, she has her colour, a beautiful wine red and she needs to understand that we cannot associate with the colourless.

"Your brother, Kayden, he is a lawyer right?" her eyes widened at my question, only a little but enough to show the fear that was brewing in her. I guess I hit a nerve.

"And your father is a government consultant? Your mother is a homemaker and you have a younger brother too. Ash, I suppose he recently received his colour?" I asked, walking closer to where she was standing.

"Don't involve them in this," someone else replied to my question, I trailed my eyes to the end of the line to a man kneeling down with similar white-blond hair. Skye. I brushed him off and stepped closer to Ariel.

"Why do you think that sneaking into a station, stealing evidence and joining the rebellion will have no consequences for you?" I said through gritted teeth, my voice neutral and concealing the clawing anger rising in me. No answer.

I took another step and gripped her jaw, drawing her face closer, "It is good that you have made new friends here, because I am bringing you whole family here," I whispered to her, my lips pulling back in a smirk as her's pulled in a snarl. It must be frustrating, knowing that she can kill me with a single dagger right on spot, but the gun touching her head was reminding her that twenty more will be dead as a consequence.

"Don't touch her you bastard, talk to me," Skye roared a yell from the other side. Siblings.

I chuckled, of course, the sibling love and trust. I turned around and went back to sit on my chair, placing my arms on the armrest and my leg on top of the other. I moved my eyes from Ariel to Skye, back again. Siblings.

My father's hand cracked across my face in a humiliating slap that rang in the room, whipping my head to the side. It burned below my eyes and a drop of hot blood dripped from the cut carved by his ring. I swallowed thickly, maintaining my glare at him. His slap didn't hurt more than the humiliation of standing here, in the living room trashed to bits and my brother sobbing on my mother's shoulder. He is the worthless one, the weak one, the younger one, the colourless one, and the loved one.

I sneered at my father whose eyes were glaring at me, nose flaring as his face turned red in anger.

"Why did you take him there? Why were you trying to kill him?" he yelled, high pitched and echoing, spit flying on my face as he breathed heavily.

I tightened my hold on my wrist, hands interlaced behind my back as I concentrated my glare on my brother. One hit and I can end him and this colourless disease. He wasn't supposed to die, it was a prank. A dangerous one. And although my intention was to get rid of him, it never happened. One careless move and he survived. My sneer deepened as mother consoled him, hugging him tighter, and glaring at me.

"He is out of control." she whispered, "You were going to kill your brother Nanthanal, for what?" she screamed in a shrill voice, it pierced my heart to see the murky hatred in her eyes. They are only always going to love Cassaren, their youngest and most precious. He is weaker than me but still they love him far more than any attention they barely pay to me.

"Sir, we are sorry for the inconvenience they caused," I snapped my attention to Markel, breaking from the train of thoughts and memories. Every time I come to Urydale they return, pinching at my head.

I gave him a smile, my family disowned me but I still climbed up on my own feet. My smile widened.

"What did I hire you for? I bailed you all out of prison specifically for this job. AND YOU COULDN'T EVEN DO THAT CORRECTLY?" my voice increased in octaves till I was outright screaming at him. I hired them with money, took a lot of pain to cover the track and this is the result I get from investing in them?

"We will discipline them, sir" he answered, through gritted teeth, bulky muscles rippling as he tightened his grip on his hand behind his back.

"I don't care what you do, I don't want a repeat of this," I snapped at all of them. With a deep breath I swiped my gaze across the hall one last time before standing up. The chair immediately disappeared behind me and so did the chains binding the boy. I started walking across the hall to the door, a couple of officers trailing behind me. I don't wish to spend another second at this rotten place.

"Where is she? Where is Pera?" I stopped at the faint whisper, it was weak but stronger with each word. I turned around on my heels. Oreana was sprawled on the floor, raising herself on one elbow to see me leave the room. I smiled at her, cocking my head to the side in amusement. It is for me to know and her to never find her sister.

"Get the train ready Drester, we are going back to Athesy," I announced, turning back and walking out of the door.

What do you think about Mr. Villian? Is he a morally grey character in your opinion?