Chapter 18

He bends down and returned Mick's hug. Pulling away shortly to inspect him with a scrutinizing gaze. Completely disregarding his earlier statement.

Can't say I wasn't thankful for that.

He grabbed Mick's arm in his hand and looked at the angry handprint mark with pursed lips. His calm exterior giving away nothing for me to grab on.

He patted Mick on the shoulder, his hand a contrast to the small boy before him. He stood back up and swept his eyes across the room before pausing at our table.

So he is Mick's brother.

He approached the table with strong strides, maneuvering through the families enjoying ice-cream.

His vibrant blue eyes focused on me and he slowed down in his march, observing me as I occupied the same table.

My face heated up at gaze and I turned back to my cup, pushing the ice-cream around with the spoon. He dragged a chair to our table and seated next to his mother, that is, next to me on the round table.

I tried to hid my blushing face behind a curtain of silver hair.

" What happened and who is my girlfriend" although his tone is questioning and not at all mocking my cheeks heated up more in embarrassment.

I wanted to smack myself across the face for blushing so much.

Mick had a brother, how was I supposed to know that before lying to the officer.

His eyes fixed at me and I sat straighter before answering.

"An officer had grabbed him, so I.." I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

" Zane meet Ariel, she helped Mick. Ariel this is my son" Kera introduced me to her son, saving me from any more embarrassment.

He looked at me, nodding in gratitude and I smiled back.

That is the most I have got from the people of this town and I wasn't even expecting more than that.

He didn't say anything more about the matter, strangely enough. He is angry, but nothing on his face gives it away. Nothing in his expression. But I can see his broad shoulders tensed and the clenched jaw. The only sign that what happened to Mick bothers him. Somehow that makes it even more dangerous.

" I haven't seen you around here" Zane asked with a tilt of his head, his attention focused on understanding me. Or he was just suspicious. For whatever reason.

" I am from Athesy" I smiled.

" She is here to surprise her grandmother. And she is also looking for a hotel" Kera interjected as if in a silent reproach for her son to act.

Zane looked back at me with interest, as if my excuse has amused him somehow.

" Ariel" I turned around at the call, Skye was walking towards me with our suitcases in each hand.

The chatter dimmed around us and I met his gaze. I nodded him forward and turned to Mrs.Kera.

" Skye this is Mick's mom, Mrs.Kera" I nodded at her with a smile and Skye extended his hand.

" Skye Perez" Kera smiled back at him.

"Thank you for saving my son Skye. " Kera looked at Skye with moist eyes, she was holding herself till now but her fear leaked in her voice.

She was afraid something worst could have happened if we hadn't interjected.

My questions keep stacking one after the other. The officer was rough in his handling but he was still a government official. Would he have done something to Mick? Somehow I had a foreboding that he would have.