Chapter 51

I have been in and out of sleep, on one hand, my tired eyes keep on closing but on the other and my mind won't let me sleep. These late-night meetings have destroyed my sleep pattern, I don't know how Zane or Oreana manage it.

I stretched my hands out, yawning loudly in the empty room. Thankfully Nanu's had a spare room with two single beds or we would have had to crash on the sofa.

The slowly forming headache acts as a good reminder of the thoughts that won't let me sleep in peace.

Oreana's plan, it is good, smart even but the stakes are too high for my family. It will require direct involvement of Dad, Kayden and Skye; they are the ones who are directly associated with the government. Dad works as a chartered accountant in the main office, Kayden's firm works in close association with the government and Skye is almost done with his internship. All of that can come crashing down. And there is no saying how much time it will take, no guarantee that we are going to be successful.

My phone ringed, echoing loudly in the empty room and breaking me from my thoughts. I pulled my phone from under my pillow. Kayden's photo flashed on the screen. With a sigh, I clicked the phone to silent. 3 Missed calls from Kayden, 4 from mom, 2 from Dad and 34 private messages from friends.

I dismissed it, pushing the phone away from me and turned away, pressing my face into the pillow. Every time, my mind contradicts every time we plan on taking a step against the government. First I was so mortified by their line of thought that I had immediately dismissed them, not wanting to hear anything. Then after I knew my Nanu was alive I couldn't stop for a minute, I wanted to take some action against them but now..

Now I don't even know what I want, it is risque, more dangerous but effective and the stakes are higher. But I can't just go around the fact that everything can go horribly wrong. If only there was an easier way, something that won't endanger the country if we managed to succeed.

It was as if a lightbulb turned on in my head with an awesome idea. I jumped up in a sitting position, suddenly energised at the plan that was slowly starting to materialize in my head. I pulled out my phone and swiped to Kayden's contact, dialling his number.

I watched the phone screen as it ringed, he was dressed in his favourite blue suit, legs crossed, leaning on his mahogany desk in his office. I smiled at the photo, there is no one more experienced to guide me with this plan.

"Hello Ariel."

"Hey, Kayden did Skye tell you about the plan?"

"Yes"

"Well I was thinking about something, Judiciary is an independent body in our country, right? That means it doesn't follow the government. What if-, what if we can find proof against-" I hesitated, losing the speed, I am unsure with this, but Kayden can guide me through.

Kayden didn't say anything for a minute, indicating that he was either thinking what to tell me or that the thought never occurred to him.

"I had searched Urydale's records, nothing suspicious came up. But the records were limited and inconsistent. Video or audio proof will be the most effective. How did you find those documents you screenshotted me?" He asked, probably running a thousand ideas in his head.

"I- I found them through someone" I gulped at his question and looked down as I lied again, silently hoping that he hadn't caught anything.

"That means you might even find some legal documents that might have a loophole I can exploit," Kayden explained, slipping into his lawyer mode.

But I doubted that I can find that type of documents in Nanu's old computer, no way are they dumb enough to lend the computer with sensitive information for public use.