6. His other side

My sleep got disturbed when I heard the sound of my stupid ringtone. I immediately opened my eyes and saw the room is still dark and also outside when I turned my head to the side of the window. The mild sound of pattering rain filled in the ambiance.

The first thing that came to my mind is Vijay, I looked at my side and surprisingly he wasn't there beside me.

But my annoying phone doesn't give me a second to think where might have gone. I took my phone from the table and noticed it's from my dad.
I huffed in frustration and tugged a few hair strands that fell before my eyes, the time is just 5.00 am in the morning and thought why he's calling me at this time.
Maybe worried about what I am doing? I thought and answered the call in my sleepy voice.

"Appaa?"

"Aa... Aarthi, are you alright? Did I disturb you?" He asked calmly still knowing that he indeed disturbed me.

"No, Appa, and I am fine," I said hoping it will calm him.

He left a sigh hearing that. Usually, he won't do this kind of thing. He will worry about me but not like getting up this early to call me? There I wondered whether he slept last night.

"You didn't sleep last night thinking about me, am I right?" I asked and my dad took a moment before answering, "Yes, what else I will do, after all that happened yesterday," he replied.

"Appa, please don't worry about me anymore. I will be alright. I am not a small kid and I can manage everything," I said to calm him but actually I even don't know what I am going to do or how I am going to manage my life with him.

I don't know anything about him and he didn't look like someone I can easily handle. He gives me these vibes that he will irritate me more than my dad, I thought, and leaned on the pillow.

"Whatever you say I am still worried about you; all I want is your happiness. You know everything Aarthi, your life is in your hands better use it thoughtfully," he started advising in the early morning itself and I rolled my eyes thinking why can't he just leave me alone at least for a day.

"Fine, Fine I won't talk back and I won't fight, okay. I will call you later. Now go and have some sleep," I said.

"Okay," my dad hangs up the call after getting that small satisfaction. This is the biggest problem of having overprotective parents. They will get anxious and make us nervous too.

I huffed and laid on flat on the bed again. Even yesterday I didn't feel so tired but right now all I wanted is sleep but my dad entirely disturbed my peace of mind. Now I lost the interest to rest and I don't want to sleep anymore.

Tying my long hair in a bun I decided to finish off my morning chores as I don't want to show this sleepy face of mine because I thought it will be embarrassing if Vijay comments anything about it too.

When I came out of the restroom I found him standing beside the bed. I was surprised at first and saw my phone on the bed which I surely know left it on the table

"You're awake," he asked me getting my attention. No, he didn't look like that person who will check on my phone. Maybe I would have forgotten where I left, I said to myself stopping my overflowing imaginations.

"Yeah, I got a call from Appa," I said.
"Oh," he nodded but didn't ask what is it and I noticed his T-shirt is damp.
He might have gone out in the rain, I thought, and went to get my towel from my bag.

"When did you woke up?" I asked.
"At 4." "I usually get up at this time so I couldn't sleep anymore," he answered removing his shirt and dropped that on the laundry basket.

So that means I have to wake up with him early, Oh God! I felt so sad about it.

When he was looking into that dresser I saw his hand properly. There is a scar on his left wrist which I didn't notice before since he covered it wearing his watch. I know it must be a cut using a knife or some kind of a sharp object because my dad also having this type of scare which he got it accidentally while putting iron sheets over the cowshed.