13. Pretend

As a human, we all explore our lives, and we experience things that have to be known for that age. But there are always limits to everything except love. It takes multiple forms in multiple relationships over time, but now I understood the love that is shared between husband and wife is precious for a woman. Out of everything, I have experienced in my life, this is so blissful.

Vijay, he's like a pineapple, hard at the surface but sweet inside which I come to know after we shared something meaningful in our relationship. He didn't fight with me or we didn't have any arguments after that. He turned into a different person, he smiles a lot and listens to my words which he has never done before. I wonder how a person can act in two different ways at the same time, maybe he has grown that way, I guess.

We all need a guarantee, a promise to accept people in our lives, maybe that intimacy is a promise that we made to each other.

It's going to be a month since I came to this house. Now I accepted this place as my home. I love being here, especially with Vijay. He's surely not like the men I know in real life or the men I saw in the movies and books. He's one of a rare kind. He shows a little emotion when he feels a lot inside and Talks a little when he thinks a lot. He expects attention, love, and care from me more than he gives to me. But it's not bad I think, loving someone isn't bad at all and I can understand that he needs that more than me in our relationship as he grew up in an unloving situation. He doesn't have a good childhood and he's been through a lot which I can understand whenever he talks about his past.

After knowing these things, I can't help but get more attracted to his uncommon personality of him. I think myself lucky to get him as a husband. He cares about me and my father, isn't that enough to like him? I smiled like I have found something I am searching for a long time.

As I look up at the dark sky, I thought why he was taking so much time to come home. He told me he will be early today but it was getting dark and he didn't show up yet. I don't want to call and disturb him so I waited eagerly playing with the knots of my sandal-colored saree matching it with the yellow rose.

Some men prefer women to be modern but Vijay preferred me to be traditional. He said to me that I look beautiful when I wear a saree and wanted me to be neatly dressed like him. I know this is something very difficult for me but I am trying to make him happy. Who else I got right now to pour out all my love to –him, just him.

How great life changes, from being so hesitant to wait for him to unconcern about his arrival and now so eager to see him. The sudden horn sound of his car elevated my excitement and I stood up having a smile.

Vijay parked the car and came out carrying food cover. He looked handsome in that light green shirt, and as usual, his smile is breathtaking. I can't help but smile and fall deep into these feelings.

"Something came by in the hotel so I am late," he reasoned.
"That's okay," I smiled and we walked inside holding hands.

"That's biryani, let's have it for dinner and the Chef also packed a new sweet recipe that he tried."

"Oh," I nodded and placed it on the table. He walked upstairs and I followed him to the room hoping he will notice me properly.

"Did your father call you?"

"Yes, afternoon Appa called and he said he's fine,"

"Did he say anything about coming here?" he asked.

"Yes, he's coming here next week," I replied watching him getting undressed.

"Is he going to stay here?" he asked.
"He won't but I am going to ask him. Is that okay if he stays here?"

He turned to face me, "Yeah, for one or two days, it's fine," he answered. I blinked my eyes hearing that as he just ended my hope simply. Certain people talk cunningly and Vijay is one among them.

And here I am without understanding what he meant, asked, "Can't he stay any longer than that?"

Vijay narrowed his eyes and noticed my instant frown.

"No, I didn't mean that. I know he won't stay longer here," Vijay said.

"Yeah, but I think, for somedays I want him to be with me,"

"It's up to you and your father's decision," he said sliding into his brown t-shirt.

"But you need to tell him, then only he will stay,"

"I can't," Vijay replied.

"Why?"

"Because it won't be good." He said his choice and walked inside the bathroom.

I don't know what else to do, nothing happens as per my wish so I left that thought and plastered a smile before he comes out and sees my miserable face.

"Aarthi,"

"Uh," I locked eyes with him.

He came closer and gazed at me up and down. "You look beautiful," he smiled to melt me down in moments.

I smiled back looking up at his charming face, "I am not that beautiful," I said.

"Who said that? You're so gorgeous. I liked you the moment I saw you," he confessed and sat beside me.

"Really?"
"Yeah, you don't believe me?" he put his hands around my shoulders.

"You made me smile the moment you came out of that room with a shy smile and you greatly got my interest after we talked privately." Saying that his arms slowly glide down to my hips.

"And now," he pulled me closer and I gasped feeling his touch on my bare skin.

"You're trapped here with me," he whispered.

I held his other hand which slid inside my saree fold.

"You smell so good," he sniffed and gave a wet kiss on my cheeks.

A moan escaped from my lips when I felt his hands on my skin.

"I missed you so much, today," he muttered and kissed my lips fervently masking away the things that are running in my mind.

I fell against the soft mattress and he hovered over me hastily. The real intimacy is looking at a person's eyes who's equally affectionate on you, this is something I read in a book and I believe in that, but Vijay always closes his eyes when we make love. First I thought it's nothing, but he does this each time which is kind of weird now.

"Look at me," I said placing my hand on his cheeks.

He paused and started at me in my eyes. His face immediately changed into great disgust and distress. The next moment he fell back on the other side like he's doing something wrong. Clenching his jaw Vijay huffed closing his eyes.

"What happened?" I got panicked.
"Nothing," he said and stood up from the bed.

He dressed after losing his rush. I got down from the bed adjusting my saree and looked at him walking away.

Why that happened to him? Do I look ugly in that angle? I thought and blew out my breath in frustration.

When I came down, he was heating up the biryani for me.
"Come, let's have it," he said and I nodded with a smile.

I don't want to ask any explanations but I strongly felt there's something wrong with him which he deliberately hides from me.

"What, eat the food," he commanded when I was staring at his face.

Then moments later, he grabbed my hand which I placed on the table,

"Don't build imaginations pertaining to that. I suddenly felt a stinging pain in my thighs," he persists to say there's nothing wrong in him.
"Okay, I didn't ask you anything," I scoff off as I felt shy to ask about that.

I continued to eat that tasty biryani but once in a while, Vijay kept glancing at me keeping his face grim.

There's something running in his mind. His face is too loyal to him –concealed his underlying emotions and I am sitting there, unable to believe his reason.

What he's showing to me, this love, care and compliments are really genuine? I questioned silently chewing the food.