21. Sympathy

I walked in to warmly welcomed by Vijay's grandpa. I smiled and asked about his health and also gave the Mysore Pak which I prepared yesterday, as my dad taught me you should never go to your relatives' house with empty hands so instead of buying something from shops I decided to take this. His grandpa won't expect these formalities but still, he's my only relative.

"How sweet of you, Vijay finally got lucky," he praised me but I know how unlucky I am.
"I first thought about you when Vijay said he's going to Chennai, you must be alone in the house right?" he asked. How decent this old man is compared to his grandson, the morning he sent his car and on the phone, he requested me to come to his house.

"Yes," I nodded with a smile.

"Come and sit," he said and I sat on the sofa. I looked around, the house is still the same when I came last time.

He asked the maid to bring tea for me and I turned my attention to him.

"How are your father and your aunt?"

"All are fine,"

"You know all I wish right now is to see my great-grandson," the moment he completed all my smile vanished. Poor old man, he doesn't know that's not going to happen anytime soon.

"Will that happen soon?" he asked.

"I don't know," I smiled in dismay.

"Vijay said, he doesn't want children for one or two years," I didn't hide because people who are around us have to know and maybe his grandpa's advice might change Vijay. I know it's rare but I just hope.

"Did he said that?" his grandpa asked.
"Yes, he did," I nodded.

"He's insane and it's tough to convince that fool," grandpa said in frustration.

"He won't listen to you, grandpa?"

"He will, but not in matters like this. But he will change soon, he will change soon," he repeated bobbing.

"Grandpa, can I ask you something," I asked sipping the tea which is given to me.

"What is it?" he narrowed his eyes.

"What happened to Vijay's father?"

"He died in a cardiac arrest and he was not well due to lung-related disease for two years before dying," he answered.

"Is he a good person?" I think I am the first person to ask such a question to him.

"My son? He's one of the worst humans that one could find in this world. Till now, I am ashamed for being called as his father and I am relieved that he's dead," he blurted out.

"Why? What he has done?"

"He's a brat since his childhood, he has done all sorts of bad things and addicted to alcohol and drugs at a young age itself. Since he is our only child, we gave too much money and affection which has spoiled him. After his mom died in viral fever, I couldn't handle him at all. I thought if he gets married he will change but he becomes worse. They always fight and I couldn't stop their marriage falling apart."

"I asked my daughter in law to stay just for Vijay or else I would have asked her to leave the house and start a new life since I am financially supporting her. But that bitch, cheated with one of her cousins and eloped with him leaving Vijay. I can even forgive her for having an affair but I never forgive for cutting all ties with Vijay. She never thought him as his son and so my son."

"They both neglected him and he won't mingle with anyone and talk to anyone because of this. His father used to beat him like a dog. Vijay is a smart student but his education is all spoiled because of them."