24. I love him

"How long you know the truth?" I asked Sharath who's standing with me when I am putting all my stuff into the bag.

"Five years," he confessed.

I saw his repenting face; I can't help but chuckle like a stupid. I just feel like a fool, after being fooled for so long,

I didn't ask him why he did that because I know he respects my father more than his own father. But I wondered how could he act with me for so long?

"I never considered you as someone else, you're always my cousin even if we're not blood-related" he answered for what I thought.

"Don't think our relationship ends here. I will call you as usual, and I wanted us how we used to be," he said.

I nodded with a smile, he's the only person who said those words, whether he means it or not I felt happy to hear that.

After completing the mourning period of sixteen days, I came here to collect my things and to say the final goodbye. I can no longer come here, my father's second sister is going to move into the house after renovating it. Like she's waiting for this movement, she asked me to take all my stuff as the work starts from tomorrow.

My father has given all his wealth to his sisters and left me penniless. All I got is a chain and a bangle for the wedding, even he took all the money in my bank account for the wedding expenses. I don't blame him as he once said that his sisters were demanding money. He must have thought that I shouldn't get into problems with them regarding this money.
But out of everything, the one that surprised me more is Vijay. He rejected all the dowry that my father promised to give and I feel like he adopted me for the second time, giving me a home, food, and care.

This is depressing but I also feel it's a blessing. My father used to say whenever I compare myself with the people who are doing bigger than me, "There are people who not even have three meals a day and proper shelter to sleep. You got everything you want and you have to grateful."

Now I understood the real meaning of his words. I need to be grateful or else I will look like a terrible person.

"Aarthi!" Vijay's voice got my attention.

"I have to go," I said to Sharath and he nodded.

I made my way to the entrance and Vijay asked, "Shall we leave?"

I nodded and carried the peace lily which is there in my house for two years. After placing it in the backside of the car, I got inside. Along with this, I took all my pictures with my parents, a few of my mom's saree and some miscellaneous stuff.

I waved goodbye to the family who finally gave their smile in relief. There's going to no connection for me with this family, that's what I think and that's what I want.

"They are not bad," Vijay said.

"Yes," I nodded.

"They will never contact you again, I guess," he added driving the car.

"I don't care; I have you and that's enough," I meant those words, honestly and Vijay turned to me. His eyes showed the happiness which he felt after hearing that. But then, as usual, he turned like he heard nothing. I learned that Vijay is someone who was never treated special or wanted by anyone.

When more I show those two things, the more he gets happy. But he never shows that he's happy. Maybe he expects more from me or didn't believe me at all.

Suddenly Vijay stopped the car in front of a sweet shop. "Where you're going?" I asked when he proceeded to get down.

"I am going to buy your favorite sweet," he smiled.