23. Anything can change at Anytime

Life is a cycle of bittersweet emotions. It's like everything is settling back to normal as how I wanted to be, but it never lasts for a day or two, the next problem is always waiting at my doorstep. Why my life has changed like this, from being so calm to chaotic.

I thought if Vijay and I reconcile everything in my life will turn back to its peace but that's the wrong assumption I have ever made when I got a call from my aunt that my father is admitted in the hospital when he has a sudden heart attack in the middle of the night.

I started crying the moment I heard it and prayed to God that nothing should happen to my father before leaving home.

"Don't worry, he will be alright," Vijay said while driving the car to the hospital at this midnight. I nodded and wiped the tears that ran down to my cheeks.

Staring at the dark sky, I think this time of my life is trying to teach me a lesson that I never learned. That's why suddenly all of these happening in my life at this particular time.

When we reached the hospital, I was welcomed by the news of my father's demise. I just fell on the ground unable to bear the shock and loss. What I feared to face and what my father warned me has just happened.

Why it has to happen so soon?

We always know that our parents were never going to stay with us until we die, but once it occurs I understand what I will lose in that. I felt like a part of my life died with him. I can never get the time I shared with him and as time passes I can just have a few memories which we shared. What a cruel life is this... the man who I admired has gone without giving a final word and a goodbye.

I saw my father, who's not at all looked like he's dead, just like he was in a deep sleep. I cried asking him to wake up but there's no way he's going to return from the place where he went.

If I know that he's going to die on this day, then I would have stayed with him, told how much I love and respect him. But I hurt him even more with my problems. When yesterday morning we spoke, I complained, "I am not happy with my happy but I will try to live because that's my fate."

I never made him happy, instead pushed him in the depression. Now I regret –tremendously regret for what I have done.

Whenever I was sad he's there to speak, he never encouraged me but there will be a bit of concern on his voice, that's why I share everything with him. He's a good man, a hard worker, and a fantastic cook. I have learned many things from him than from my mom. Now he's no more. He's going to leave me permanently in a few hours.

From now on where I will go and blabber all my worries, where I will get scolding and who will give me the life advice that needed for my stupid self.

I cried, sitting beside him for the entire time. Nothing heard in ears, my eyes couldn't see anyone, and my words have gone in grief.

Then the things that happened afterward were like a storm dropped on my head. The man who I considered as my father is not my actual father is what I found in that cruelest time.

When I moved to take part in the final rituals before cremation, my second aunt whom I had a fight on my wedding told me, "You don't need to do this,"

"Why?" I questioned in confusion.

"He's not your father, you're not our family blood to take part in this," she said.
I stared her blankly unable to comprehend what she has said. I don't know what's happening around me?

"Who are you to say that I am his only daughter and you're lying," I shouted and proceeded without minding her words but she held my wrist and dragged me away. I know this woman is getting her revenge on me at this time but I wondered why no one is stopping her. That time Vijay stepped there to stop further arguments.